Author Topic: What are nightly-builds useful for?  (Read 6868 times)

Offline candide

• Single posting newcomer
What are nightly-builds useful for?
« on: March 05, 2006, 01:19:34 am »
Can someone explain me what are nightly builds files useful for ? Are they patch like ? update files like ?
Do I have to install the latest version ? Where are the instructions for installation ?

Thanks,

Candide

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: What are nightly-builds useful for?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 01:24:20 am »
Hello,

Have a look at here, here and here :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline candide

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:55:59 am »
OK, this makes sense now, the first link answered my question very well.
Nevertheless, the second link doesn't make clear the nightly-build files usefulness, you should amend the wording.

Many thanks for your kind response,

Candide

BeerSlinger

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 02:04:29 am »
OK, this makes sense now, the first link answered my question very well.
Nevertheless, the second link doesn't make clear the nightly-build files usefulness, you should amend the wording.

Many thanks for your kind response,

Candide

I found it a little confusing at first because its a little different........but not unexpected since there is a software team always working on Code::Blocks.....

I know for windows, its the difference between night and day in functionality.......

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:36:21 am »
another thing why it is usefull. It can provide quick feedback from the community. Sometimes a new feature or a bug fix may break something else, and trough this mechanism chances are very high; the new problem is spotted very quickly, and accordingly can be fixed quickly.

It is a 2-way win-win situation :

- for the users : they get "latest and greatest" versions (no need to wait for weeks or months for that one fix or new feature to be finally released)
 - quick user feedback (hey, you can even call it testing feedback)

What's the risc for the user : well maybe the new nightly might be unstable or introduce a new bug.
So if you are scared from this way of working, then you stick with official versions (the lastest official one is RC2, but to be honest, it is way behind th current development status).

..... we help you, you help us .......

Offline candide

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:29:32 am »
Thanks for your response.

(the lastest official one is RC2, but to be honest, it is way behind th current development status).

Is it known when the new release will be made avalaible ?

Candide

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:43:24 pm »
Thanks for your response.

(the lastest official one is RC2, but to be honest, it is way behind th current development status).

Is it known when the new release will be made avalaible ?

Candide

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=2372.0

BeerSlinger

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 04:23:18 am »
another thing why it is usefull. It can provide quick feedback from the community. Sometimes a new feature or a bug fix may break something else, and trough this mechanism chances are very high; the new problem is spotted very quickly, and accordingly can be fixed quickly.

It is a 2-way win-win situation :

- for the users : they get "latest and greatest" versions (no need to wait for weeks or months for that one fix or new feature to be finally released)
 - quick user feedback (hey, you can even call it testing feedback)

What's the risc for the user : well maybe the new nightly might be unstable or introduce a new bug.
So if you are scared from this way of working, then you stick with official versions (the lastest official one is RC2, but to be honest, it is way behind th current development status).

..... we help you, you help us .......

"..... we help you, you help us .......," that maybe but sometimes I feel sorry of you guys for putting up with some of us newbies......by the end of my last post I was starting to feel sorry for Takeshi Miya but I couldn't have been gratefull enough for is patience....

Hopefully I will learn over time....

So all I can say is the best of luck for the guys behind me comming in.......

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 11:31:59 am »

"..... we help you, you help us .......," that maybe but sometimes I feel sorry of you guys for putting up with some of us newbies......

I am not sure to understand what you mean :?. The admins/devels/members of C::B not only provides helpful tutorials/HOW-TODO/etc., but they are also available to answer newbies questions :). For example, I have installed ubuntu some days ago. Well, being a Linux newbies, I got, thanks to the Linux tutorial and admins/devel/members, C::B compiled and working :). Naturally, I have to put some effort and work to make all working correctly, but this was for sure positive. Now I know much better how to work with C::B and ubuntu.

Best wishes,
Michael

BeerSlinger

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:10:42 pm »

"..... we help you, you help us .......," that maybe but sometimes I feel sorry of you guys for putting up with some of us newbies......

I am not sure to understand what you mean :?. The admins/devels/members of C::B not only provides helpful tutorials/HOW-TODO/etc., but they are also available to answer newbies questions :). For example, I have installed ubuntu some days ago. Well, being a Linux newbies, I got, thanks to the Linux tutorial and admins/devel/members, C::B compiled and working :). Naturally, I have to put some effort and work to make all working correctly, but this was for sure positive. Now I know much better how to work with C::B and ubuntu.

Best wishes,
Michael

What I was refering to was when I was questioning him about code documentation.....Like MSDN..... I just felt sorry for him after awhile because I just couldn't wrap my head around how it was addressed in C::B...

To me, C::B has been a little bit of a culture shock because I had left development for awhile because i had been becoming increasing disgusted with Microsoft...So coming back has been interesting....