User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

Why did you choose Code::Blocks?

(1/3) > >>

SashaGT:
I've been using Code::Blocks for probably a decade by now. My first IDE, the one I felt confident using, was Dev-C++. Likely because it was an easy install. It definitely was the first tool I used to compile C++ code.. but sometime soon after I started compiling C++ programs using Code::Blocks. I don't know why or how I came to use it but for this reason I've signed up to the forum a decade later looking for answers.

Why did you download a start using Code::Blocks?

After reading through the forums I found that this might be a refreshing question of self-reflection and exploration; I truely am curious as I don't quiet exactly remember how I came about this wonderful IDE and am hoping to rediscover the reasons as to why I had decided to commit myself to Code::Blocks for the last 10 years.

All I know is that it's familiar and I keep coming back!  ;)

Miguel Gimenez:
I was using C++ Builder, but was disappointed with the incompatibilities and limitations of their compiler.

I tested Dev-Cpp for game developing on MSW, but it was mostly abandoned and I needed Linux support.

I then tried Anjuta, but had no support for MSW and I did not like it.

Finally (2009) I ended with C::B because Ubuntu software repository offered it, and there was a version for MSW with identical GUI.

Side note: I hate-hate-hate MS tools and MS-isms like ATL, #pragma once and other "features" created just for making difficult returning to GCC.

SashaGT:
I understand the sentiment towards MS. I had a bad experience with an MSVS beta version that was preventing the latest non beta version from installing despite it being uninstalled. Looking back it was probably a Windows registry key problem.

I bet I was wanting to use the new C++ standards and I couldn't figure out how to replace them in Dev-Cpp back then.. so then I found C::B; a just as easy to install IDE with the latest MinGW compiler. I remember reading forums discussing C++0x and being very interested. So it's possible I migrated to C::B shortly after the release of C++11 once MinGW supported it.

Now that I've had a bit to sit and think about it that's probably what happened. ::)

Thanks for sharing!

Pecan:
I had clients who wanted to migrate to Linux, but my software was Windows only.

I found a team that was writing an IDE that supported both Linux and Windows named "Code::Blocks".

It was the shortest route to convert/support my software.
MSBuild console .bat system got retired for testing only. Never looked back.

SashaGT:
Solid reason! I've always tried to write software that's as platform independent as possible. I had intended to compile some of my projects for Linux but haven't gotten around to it. I don't think I started using C::B because of it's Linux support but it's definitely something that I've been planning on taking advantage of more recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version