Author Topic: Linux- new install, no console appears after run  (Read 2785 times)

Greenhorn

Linux- new install, no console appears after run
« on: April 15, 2023, 04:46:51 am »
I'm new to Code:Blocks IDE. I'm running MXLinux.

After following Code:Block instructions for a first program, no console appeared when I ran the built program.

I had no clue what the error message meant. I'd never heard of xterm as a program nor any command named by that name.
Incorrectly I guessed, xterm must be a part of CodeBlocks program.

Much later, I finally read a post "Works fine here with gnome-terminal." That is when the bell finally went off since I'd heard of that.
My system runs xfce terminal. Therefore, xterm must be a terminal. 

So for anyone as mentally handicapped as I am, here's what worked for me.

Determine the name of the terminal program your system uses. (for old window users this is something like a dos box).

Go back to Code::blocks program.  Select "Settings" --> "Environment..."   Select "General Settings " (colored icon on left).
Near the bottom of that screen, in the text box labeled: "terminal to launch console programs"
use the "arrow down" on the right side to replace xterm with the terminal program on your system. Then hit OK.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Re: Linux- new install, no console appears after run
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 09:55:33 am »
Hi, you did the right thing to solve that problem. I had a similar issue some time ago, see this thread
https://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,24587.0.html

As you can see, it is mentioned that the current way this is handled is not quite optimal, but currently it is the only alternative.