Author Topic: Stray character appearing at the beginning of lines  (Read 1811 times)

Offline dwaindibbley

• Single posting newcomer
Stray character appearing at the beginning of lines
« on: February 14, 2023, 05:49:42 am »
I am using Codeblocks 20:03 fine on Windows, I was using 20:03 for some time on Linux mint 19.X but then started to get a stray character on the beginning of each line like a checkerboard character. I tried pretty much every setting including changing fonts but to no avail. This week I got a new PC, Mint 21.1, installed C::B 20:03 and had an identical issue. Nothing was copied from my old PC, but I may have loaded a project. The error I should point out happens even if I create a new, empty file. I have exactly the same problem. Finally I build the latest SVN checkout and ran that... Same problem again! I know its the new build as it is showing the SVN number instead of 20:03 version. I can live with the corruption but its very distracting! Anyone any ideas?

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Stray character appearing at the beginning of lines
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 10:03:07 am »
It is a bad rendering of the fold controls, IIRC it got fixed about one year ago.

Try disabling folding in Editor settings -> Folding

Offline dwaindibbley

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Stray character appearing at the beginning of lines
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 06:56:11 am »
I found a fix that also fixed my other issues. Deleting the settings file which on my 22.04 based Ubuntu is in my home ~/.config/codeblocks. Uninstalling and re-installing codeblocks does not delete this folder.