Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

updating WxSmith tutorials

<< < (2/2)

rts2003:
Many thanks, bdad.  I figured out where the error came from.  The details are in that StackOverflow post.  By the way, do you know the reason why not using wxDefaultSize causes it to fail?

bdad:
I didn't realise that I was much help, other than commiserating with you over the difficulties in getting it to work as we expected. Fwiw, I've spent a fiver on the 'Gwx Story' book mentioned in the tutorial. It should arrive today. I expect that will be a bit out of date, too, but will most likely give a few more clues in getting this all to stick together.

As I've not seen the stack overflow post to which you refer, I've no idea about the wxDefaultSize problem, but I'm glad you've found the error.

The other tutorials seem a bit better, I guess it is because by then we know what to expect and are more used to the  idiosyncrasies of the system.

rts2003:
Pardon, here it is.  Thanks for the mentioning the book.

bdad:
That link explains the problem I was getting with the 'silly little square', and I was overcoming by ignoring it for the time being. It is pretty quick, if populating a  panel, to use the 'insert after current ' button, or cut and paste in the resource window, then sort out what goes where within the grid, by dragging the items around, although that can be a bit problematic, but cut and paste works well. I think that should have been used in the tutorials.

The book appears to be OK, it is dated June 2020, so out-dates the tutorials, although he admits to updating the tutorials. He uses Ubuntu, but that makes little difference. I think it will be a useful reference source.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version