Author Topic: The best compilers on Windows XP  (Read 9891 times)

Offline jpl

• Single posting newcomer
The best compilers on Windows XP
« on: October 27, 2022, 08:00:02 pm »
I have installed Codeblocks on Windows XP and got Compilers auto-detection window. Many compilers there. For example: GNU GCC, MS Visual C++ Toolkit/2003, MS Visual C++ 2005/2008, MS Visual C++ 2010 (in my case Codeblocks found it), Borland C++ (5.5, 5.82) and etc.

I would to know some opiniions about what compiler is the best case for Codeblocks + Windows XP SP3 for C/C++.

Offline gerwin

• Single posting newcomer
Re: The best compilers on Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 10:27:44 pm »
I have installed Codeblocks on Windows XP and got Compilers auto-detection window. Many compilers there. For example: GNU GCC, MS Visual C++ Toolkit/2003, MS Visual C++ 2005/2008, MS Visual C++ 2010 (in my case Codeblocks found it), Borland C++ (5.5, 5.82) and etc.

I would to know some opiniions about what compiler is the best case for Codeblocks + Windows XP SP3 for C/C++.

Depends on what you want to do, of course.

Microsoft compilers: Advantage of being native to the OS, but MSVC 2010 is the last XP compatible one already. If it is good enough for what you want, then you can stick with that.

Issues arise when you want to use libraries and code from other projects, like current projects, with new syntax and new standards.

MinGW had many updates after 2010 too, and many packages to go with it. All good until around 2016 and MinGW 5.3. After that time, you  will find parts of this ecosystem include non-XP compatible Vista+ API calls. Though if you are adventurous, there are are still ways.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:31:14 am »
There are some more-or less fresh Mingw-w64 compilers on a level of gcc 8 running on XP. You can ask this guy https://github.com/brechtsanders/winlibs_mingw
about his collection of the builds or just try something like https://github.com/brechtsanders/winlibs_mingw/releases/tag/7.5.0-7.0.0-r1
Also I suggest to install MS UCRT - it exists for XP.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 04:27:05 pm »
Current GCC also supports Xp
Current gcc is 12.20, if someone will be lucky enough to built it with MinGW-w64 which is compatible with XP, might be it can run and produce runable code. MinGW-w64 not compatible with XP kernel for 2 years or somethings.

Wilson5

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 10:49:37 am »
Hello sir i did every step as u informed in the video but in cmd my cmd reports that g++ is not an operable bcz of no any internal or external command what could be the reason sir? i have added bin address in environment and path.

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 06:18:24 pm »
Looks like the bots are going crazy here. I wonder, why differ the posts slightly? Are these constructed from templates that offer different choices for certain positions or is it just slightly different output from an AI?

MichaelAgarkov

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 08:24:12 am »
Looks like the bots are going crazy here. I wonder, why differ the posts slightly? Are these constructed from templates that offer different choices for certain positions or is it just slightly different output from an AI?

It seems to be the case, unfortunately. It's hard to tell people and AI apart nowadays. But at least now they are trying to be somewhat helpful(?)