Author Topic: Blocked. Administrator please help.  (Read 2301 times)

Offline stuarte

• Multiple posting newcomer
Blocked. Administrator please help.
« on: October 08, 2022, 04:12:17 pm »
Good afternoon,

Several times today I have tried to post a reply to a topic that I started (in the Using Code::Blocks form) called Further expansion of structs.

Each time that I have tried to post a reply, I have been sent to a web page showing the following text.

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

Yes, I did keep getting sent to that screen. So, here I am asking for help.

Sequence of events.

I typed up a reply in the large text entry box. I then previewed this. I then made amendations to the text and previewed again (possibly more than once, it has become a bit of a blur). When I then tried to actually post my reply I was sent to the Database error window. I did check higher up the screen and it still said logout.

Please help.

Stuart

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Blocked. Administrator please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 05:15:05 pm »
Do not use non-ASCII characters.

Offline stuarte

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 11:23:06 am »
Good morning Snr Gimenez,

Thank you for such a swift reply. I thought I was(!) using ASCII characters. I was using the Kate text editor set to cp1252. I thought that this was the same as the Windows-1252 character set, which is the same as ASCII for the first 127 codes/characters. If not then to what character set should I set the Kate text editor ?

Stuart

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 12:17:47 pm »
The problem is not the encoding, but usage of characters outside the ASCII set. If you use accented characters, national characters like the "n with tilde" from Spain, or non-english quotation marks (for example french angular quotation marks) the forum will reject the post.

As you can see I described the forbidden characters, because adding them would make the post fail.