Author Topic: Doesn't load all projects into workspace during build  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Frank_CB

• Almost regular
Doesn't load all projects into workspace during build
« on: July 27, 2022, 08:40:13 pm »
Greetings,

While loading contributed plugins into C::B, I receive an opening workspace dialog that states "5 projects could not be loaded. Please see the log window for details." What log window and where do I find it? Build Messages and Build Log contain nothing.

I'm building the latest version of C::B from source using wx3.2 on windows 10 (64-bit). I thought I'd edited all the contributed plugins. Any suggestions would be  appreciated.

Regards

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Doesn't load all projects into workspace during build
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 10:56:55 pm »
The log this message is talking about is the "Code:blocks" tab in "Log& others" panel. You maybe have to scroll upwards to see messages..
You will have to scroll up until you see some red text, that contains the error message

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:16:24 am »
I would also have a look at what you "edited all the contributed plugins." as you may have edited something to cause the failures and it is very easy to do if you are editing around the plugin ZIP file creation.
When this occurs in addition to checking the log I also check the following for the plugin that fails to load:

• There is a plugin DLL file in the \share\CodeBlocks\plugins directory
  • There is a plugin ZIP file in the \share\CodeBlocks directory and it matches (watch case) with the file in 1)
  • Compare the contents of the ZIP file against the latest nightly build to see that the ZIP file creation worked correctly
If you still cannot figure out what the problem is then check to see if you have all of the expected DLL's in the codeblocks exe directory like the nightly C::B has (check that they match and you do not have a missing one or a different one).

Offline Frank_CB

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:18:32 pm »
@BlueHazzard:

I could load and unload the Logs @ Others panel using either F2 or View->logs, but it was usually blank. Rather perplexing. Once I started toggling (as an experiment) tabs I found different tabs that could be added to the blank panel.  One of the tabs was Code_Blocks. Adding that tab to the panel displayed the information I wanted. Red text was scattered throughout that log. I should have read your first sentence more carefully.

Thank you!

@AndrewCot:

You continue amazing me with your knowledge of the internal workings of Code::Blocks. Since I am re-working building C::B with wx3.2, I'll try following your comments when appropriate.  I am using a xml editor to update the xml files after renaming them. I am also renaming update 31_64.bat to update32_64.bat where appropriate.

Thank you!

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 01:56:43 am »
The only reason I know so much about the issues you are hitting is that I have seen them and had to work my way through them.
There are a bunch of things that need to be aware of when updating the files to wxWidgets as you are new to it and will as you are aware hit bumps along the way and sometimes have to revert changes if they do not work out. Some of the issues you will hit with updating the existing build files:
  • Some of the project files are hard coded for the "default" wxWidgets for the OS. 3.1 for Windows and 3.0 for Linux. These are mainly the batch and script files called from the existing CBP files. These are a pain to update as there are IMHO way too many of them.
  • Some of the scripts in the src directory also have hard coded paths based on the file.
  • The big one is that you need to change all references in all the CBP files to change the wxWidget you are building against/for. One mistake and you get into allot of trouble (aka errors).
With wxWidgets 3.2.0 please make sure you manually incorporate the following change otherwise you will have issues with dialogs opening off screen at some point:If you want to create a Windows installer that the quickest way is to grab the https://github.com/acotty/CodeBlocks_Unofficial_Testing/tree/master/windows_installer directory and put it in the same sub directory in your source tree and run the appropriate bat file in the windows_installer. Please read the start of one of the *.nsi for what you need to install to get the NSIS script to work.  I have not checked it works against the stock SF source tree for 2 or 3 months. If it does not work can you create an issue in the Github repo for me.

I have solved all of the project file quirks that I am aware of in the https://github.com/acotty/CodeBlocks_Unofficial_Testing repo. If you get stuck compare the *.cbp and *.bat files as I have moved all of the zip creation into the CBP files and the src bat files do not create any zip files anymore, but they still copy the compiler DLL files. If you get stuck with any of these or want to know why or what or any feedback on these updated/changes files create a discussion in the github repo so I can answer you as these files are not official C::B files.
If/when you get to building on Linux or Mac drop me a DM and I will give you some more pointers, but if you want a head start then have a read of one of the readme files in the repo root directory, but be aware that these are not 100% polished so if you can help out with fixing/updating/polishing them I would be very much appreciated as they need to be reviewed and checked.