Author Topic: Compiling SO Files Embedded In The Executable  (Read 3369 times)

Offline EverydayDiesel

• Multiple posting newcomer
Compiling SO Files Embedded In The Executable
« on: July 08, 2022, 05:44:58 am »
Hello,

I have a server that I dont have sudo on but I need to run a C++ application that I wrote with code blocks.

At the moment I am getting these errors

Code
./test: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by ./test)
./test: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.13' not found (required by ./test)
./test: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by ./test)
./test: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by ./test)

Is there a way to make my executable bigger and have them embedded?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Compiling SO Files Embedded In The Executable
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 09:36:36 am »
I am no expert in this, but I think your problem is that you have compiled your program with a incompatible glibc version as that is running on your server

as far as i know you have two options to resolve your issue:
1) Use on the compiling pc the exact same version of gcc as available on the server ( to simplyfy you can use some vm like virtual box or some docker container) <- simple and fast
2) Embedd libc in your application, for this you have to compile it versus something like uClibc or musl (https://uclibc-ng.org/ http://musl.libc.org/ ) <- more compliucated and i do not know if this works with c++

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 09:41:01 am »
3) if your server supports flatpack you probably can also use flatpack https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/single-file-bundles.html

Offline EverydayDiesel

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 04:37:30 pm »
Hello and thank you for the reply. 

// dev machine
Code
g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=/usr/bin/g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/12/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,ada,go,d,lto --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --enable-multilib --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-gcc-major-version-only --enable-libstdcxx-backtrace --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --with-isl=/builddir/build/BUILD/gcc-12.1.1-20220507/obj-x86_64-redhat-linux/isl-install --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none --without-cuda-driver --enable-offload-defaulted --enable-gnu-indirect-function --enable-cet --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto --enable-link-serialization=1
Thread model: posix
Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd
gcc version 12.1.1 20220507 (Red Hat 12.1.1-1) (GCC)

// server
Code
g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none:hsa
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-9/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,brig,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++,gm2 --prefix=/usr --with-gcc-major-version-only --program-suffix=-9 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu- --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-plugin --enable-default-pie --with-system-zlib --with-target-system-zlib=auto --enable-objc-gc=auto --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none=/build/gcc-9-Av3uEd/gcc-9-9.4.0/debian/tmp-nvptx/usr,hsa --without-cuda-driver --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 9.4.0 (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1)

1.  Im not crazy about writing the code in virtual box but I see where I may have to.

2.  This is exactly what I was hoping to do but with code blocks settings.  Instead of linking to these needed libraries, i could somehow embed them in the executable.  Like all the libaries on the dev box would be embedded inside the executable so when i move that 1 file to the server, everything would work

3.  I just tested flatpak and that is not installed.  I dont have sudo so that is not an option for me.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:55:27 pm by EverydayDiesel »

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 05:26:17 pm »
Your build environment is newer than your runtime environment, this will never work. If it would be reversed, there are chances it would work, but since your application uses C++, there is a chance of an ABI break between these 3 major version jumps.

There is the possibility to link glibc and libstdc++ statically with the -static option, but this is highly discouraged and your planned use case is one of the major reasons why it is. You can try a statically linked version of your application, if you are lucky, it crashes right away on start. If you are unlucky, you get totally weird defects during runtime.

TL;DR: No, you won't be able to build a working binary on your dev system for the target system. Depending on the complexity of your application (what build system, can you build it with a standard cli build system) and its external dependencies (what libraries and other tools are required), either build it directly on the target system or setup a matching build environment on your dev system (vm, container, cross-compiling).

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 09:51:35 pm »
2.  This is exactly what I was hoping to do but with code blocks settings.  Instead of linking to these needed libraries, i could somehow embed them in the executable.  Like all the libaries on the dev box would be embedded inside the executable so when i move that 1 file to the server, everything would work
setting this up in codeblocks is not the problem.... The problem is as sodev said, you have no guarantee that it works...

sometimes you can install older versions of gcc as alternative, but i do not know if this is possible in redhat and i also did not find anything on google...