User forums > Help

FreeBSD crashes

(1/3) > >>

CHannosset:
Hi,
I am new developer in FreeBSD (30++ development in C/C++/C# experience) and am using Code Blocks.
I like it but I experience frequent crashes and core dump: I can provide core dump or can debug and point out where is the issue is.
I can help pointing out the bugs, can you please forward me to the best Forum to help developers stabilizing the application.

Christophe

AndrewCot:
First with any report please supply details of the version of C::B you are using and if it's not the latest nightly build then give it a go. You can grab the latest nightly from the nightly build forum via links in the posts.

There are a number of ways to track down bug yourself at a high level they all require you to build C::B. So first question is what OS are you familiar with as IMHO you should start with it to build C::B in order to get familiar with the build process and debugging. From this answer I can then point you to what I think will be the quickest way to get up to speed.
C::B XML crash report file is way more usable than a core dump.

CHannosset:
Thanks
CODE::Blocks
Name             : Code::Blocks
Version          : 20.03-r11997
SDK Version      : 2.0.0
Scintilla Version: 3.7.5
Author           : The Code::Blocks Team
E-mail           : info@codeblocks.org
Website          : http://www.codeblocks.org

wxWidgets Library (wxGTK port)
Version 3.0.5 (Unicode: wchar_t, debug level: 1),
compiled at Feb 13 2022 05:37:23

Runtime version of toolkit used is 3.24.
Compile-time GTK+ version is 3.24.31.

Operating System

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11

Questions

* What compiler should I use to build Code::Blocks? (I am currently using gcc)
* What is the procedure to (re)build Code::Blocks under FreeBSD?
* Where can I find the xml file, so far I have never seen any xml file, only codeblocks.core
* Is this the correct forum post for such discussion? (if not please point me to the adequate one)
* Should I report an issue I have found, what is the procedure?

AndrewCot:
Answers to your questions:

* On most OS's it is GCC, but on the MAC it's CLANG and as for the exact version and package depends on the OS.
* Check out the Code::Blocks WIKI pages for info if you want to jump in without my help.
* On Windows there is a crash report file. On Linux there is a dialog that pops up where you can view the crash report. On MAC there is also a crash report. On FreeBSD I am assuming it will be similar to Linux, but FreeBSD is a BSD based Unix not a Linux based OS so it may be different.
* If you want to try other places then go for it. This is a help forum and I am trying to help and until enough info is available then this IMHO is as good as anywhere else.
* There is not enough info supplied in order to report your issue as a problem at this point in time that can be used to help resolve the problem you are seeing.Things to try or questions to answer:
* Can you please let me know what OS you are most familiar with that you still can use?
* The r11997 from Feb 2022 is now almost 6 months old. Please try with the latest nightly build. The same process you used to get the release in Feb 2022 should work again with a later release.
* Can you give more details on when the crashes occur and what you were doing when the crashes occur.
* After gathering the info for item 4) give disabling the codecompletion plugin a go. You can control the enabling/disabling of plugins via the plugin menu.
* When it crashes what do you see or get on the screen FreeBSD?
* If you do not get anything when it crashes in Freebsd then manually run the C::B executable using GDB then when it crashes you can grab the call stack (backtrace in GDB speak) by runnint the "bt 100" command and grab the results and post them.

CHannosset:
Thanks for the info.
I am currently developing services and libraries in C under FreeBSD - I would like to stabilize the version as it crashes on a regular basis.
I have extracted from Source Forge the latest source code.

Where can I find the procedure to rebuild on FreeBSD?
I had a look on the web site and the documentation but there is no specific detail for FreeBSD. The manual also specifies that Building Code::Blocks for Linux "should be reviewed and completed. Does not seem to be totally updated"[sic]. As you correctly mentioned Linux is not FreeBSD and definitely some settings needs to be correctly configured.

I am also unaware of any third party library used. Is there a list?

Crashes mainly happens on 2 occasions:

* building or rebuilding, excess of opened pipes (clicking cancel crashes, continue makes the whole environment unstable)
* No action from the end-user. suddenly Code::Blocks crashes even overnight. Happens at least one time a day.When Code::Blocks crashes, it simply disappear silently leaving only a .core file a proof of the sudden disappearance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version