Author Topic: New Variable to support wx-config in MSys2 MinGW  (Read 12197 times)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: New Variable to support wx-config in MSys2 MinGW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 05:25:43 am »
I have come across two issues as described below:

WX_CONFIG Library usage
Cannot build SDK target using what I think is the standard using the library linker tag as follows:
    You cannot use the following
        <Add library="`$(WX_CONFIG) --libs std,aui,propgrid`" />
    You need to use this
        <Add option="`$(WX_CONFIG) --libs std,aui,propgrid`" />

I see no difference between what you say works and not works.

Tim S

I think they are different options:

For example:

Code
				<Linker>
<Add option="`$(WX_CONFIG) --libs std,aui`" />
<Add option="-Wl,--no-undefined" />
<Add library="codeblocks" />
</Linker>

The "Add library" told C::B that a library named "codeblocks" will be linked, C::B will generate the correct linker command line option.
While, the "Add option" let the user directly put the linker command line option.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2022, 02:41:35 pm »

Additional Paths issue and potential changes required:
When you include $(TARGET_COMPILER_DIR)../usr/bin in the "Additional Paths" option in the global Compiler setting then on Windows any existing project that includes the zip command in the <ExtraCommands /> you will need to change the directory delim '\' to '/' if you are using the '/' delim as you will now use the MSYS2 usr/bin/zip instead of your existing windows zip file.
This is a bad issue, in-fact, we just need sh.exe in the path "$(TARGET_COMPILER_DIR)../usr/bin" to run the wx-config script.
using the usr/bin/zip is only expected when we run the update script under mingw64 shell.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:46:26 pm by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2022, 05:12:44 pm »

Additional Paths issue and potential changes required:
When you include $(TARGET_COMPILER_DIR)../usr/bin in the "Additional Paths" option in the global Compiler setting then on Windows any existing project that includes the zip command in the <ExtraCommands /> you will need to change the directory delim '\' to '/' if you are using the '/' delim as you will now use the MSYS2 usr/bin/zip instead of your existing windows zip file.
This is a bad issue, in-fact, we just need sh.exe in the path "$(TARGET_COMPILER_DIR)../usr/bin" to run the wx-config script.
using the usr/bin/zip is only expected when we run the update script under mingw64 shell.

AndrewCot seems to think converting Windows CB projects to run under MSys2 makes sense!
It does NOT! I am guessing he rarely uses the Linux CB projects because he is not understanding that the Linux projects has the same "flaws" as the MSys2 projects has.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2022, 05:21:12 pm »
AndrewCot seems to think converting Windows CB projects to run under MSys2 makes sense!
It does NOT! I am guessing he rarely uses the Linux CB projects because he is not understanding that the Linux projects has the same "flaws" as the MSys2 projects has.
I agree. The way forward could be to use the Unix project files under MSYS2. Shouldn't these work right out-of-the-box?
(Besides: Can anybody tell me why exactly it is worth putting energy into MSYS 2 support? I might have missed it. In the end you can do everything from native Windows, incl. using the MSYS compilers, which is what I do from time-to-time?!)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2022, 10:40:02 pm »
I agree. The way forward could be to use the Unix project files under MSYS2. Shouldn't these work right out-of-the-box?
(Besides: Can anybody tell me why exactly it is worth putting energy into MSYS 2 support? I might have missed it. In the end you can do everything from native Windows, incl. using the MSYS compilers, which is what I do from time-to-time?!)

I have tried a few times to do an Code::Blocks IDE package for MSys2 and failed on the first try; current try builds; but, fails to run.
This time it was just to test my wxWidgets MSys2 package to verify it works with CB Projects.

I would like to get the scripted wizard working better with MSys2 mingw64; but, using MSys2 MinGW64 to build Code::Blocks might be best done the normal way (using cmd.exe prompt) instead of an MSys2 MinGW64 prompt.

Tim S.
--

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2022, 12:12:47 am »
Let me be polite and say if you have no idea it is better to say so or nothing than to accuse someone of something that is completely wrong.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2022, 03:09:44 pm »
Can anybody tell me why exactly it is worth putting energy into MSYS 2 support
I personally think it is a great way to have a package manager with libraries that just work on windows. I need some library pacman -S and the library and all dependencies are there.
I think people nowadays use vcpck or cocoa but the first is a microsoft thing and i am not a big fan about it, and i tested the second when it was still new and it was not really nice to use, so i was stuck with msys2
Do not view it as a unix environment on windows, view it as a package manager. And for this it would be nice to have codeblocks as package there... You want to install codeblocks? Simply run pacman -S codeblocks and everything works...
If it makes sense to port windows project files or use unix project files, that is out of my scope...

Offline New Pagodi

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2022, 03:58:24 pm »
Also, if you can get codeblocks running with the GTK backend on windows, that might be the easiest way to add darkmode support that has been requested several times.  The shortest path to wxGTK on windows is probably through msys.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2022, 04:32:01 pm »
Also, if you can get codeblocks running with the GTK backend on windows, that might be the easiest way to add darkmode support that has been requested several times.  The shortest path to wxGTK on windows is probably through msys.

I have never used the wxGTK under Windows before, can some one shows the difference between wxGTK and wxMSW under Windows?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 08:47:14 pm »

I have never used the wxGTK under Windows before, can some one shows the difference between wxGTK and wxMSW under Windows?

If you will take over the maintenance of it; I will create an core CB project using wxGTK-gtk3.
You would have to do the other CB projects.

Edit: Or, if you can tell me which wxWidgets sample will show the difference I could do that, instead.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:50:17 pm by stahta01 »
--