Author Topic: which compiler to use.  (Read 2237 times)

johnt

which compiler to use.
« on: April 21, 2022, 03:32:25 am »
I am trying to set up the installation and run in windows the codeblocks idle.
I can't figure which compiler to use to do this?
John Tankersley
john_tnkrsly@yahoo.com

Offline Aronimo

• Single posting newcomer
Re: which compiler to use.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 03:37:43 am »
I recommend MinGW, tho I don't think it will make such a difference what compiler u use, unless you want to develop for win32, in which case you MUST use visual c++. Otherwise, i'd say to go MinGW with the codeblocks setup.

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 04:48:28 am »
There are a number of different "Windows" compilers that C::B supports. Some very well and others not so well. Some of the compilers are obsolete and some are current / bleeding edge.
The Windows compiler collection I would recommend is MSYS2, https://www.msys2.org/ .
The MSYS2 eco system has a number of different compilers that are supported by C::B. The main two MSYS2 supported compilers by C::B are:
  • MinGW32
  • MinGW64
These other MSYS2 compilers are supported, but the LLDB debugger is currently not supported:
  • Clang32
  • Clang64
These other MSYS2 compilers are not supported out of the box by C::B as you will need to configure them via the compiler plugin and some devs have reported issues with them, but I have not used them so I cannot comment on the issues raised:
  • ucrt64
The main reason I recommend MSYS2 for use with C::B is that the MSYS2 eco system has a huge number of packages available for it.
As for which MSYS2 compiler to use for your case and which libraries are applicable I have no idea as the info supplied is not allot.
I would also recommend using the latest nightly build as it has far better support for the different MSYS2 compilers than C::B 20.03 has.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 09:26:42 am »
An other compiler is https://www.winlibs.com/
but as AndrewCot said, i would stick to msys2 and the MinGW64 package

Offline PB

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 05:48:52 pm »
FWIW, chapters  3.1.-3.3 and chapters 4.2 and 4.3 of my guide have step-by-step instructions on how to install mingw64-based GCC distribution from MSYS2 and set it in Code::Blocks.