User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

Code::Blocks doesn't work

(1/2) > >>

PsychadelicGumballMachine:
I am starting an online program learning C programming. The instructor says he recommends CodeBlcoks to write C programs.  I have heard of codeblocks before but never got it to work on my laptop. I am trying again on my desktop.  i followed all of the instructions completely, exactly the same as the instructor in the video, and yet I get this error message when trying to start a new project (this is merely to test code blocks):
Create new project→Console Application→C→called it Dummy→my compiler is GNU GCC Compiler (I've also tried CYGWIN)→Finish

wxWidgets Debug Alert
A debugging check in this application has failed.
../../src/common/file.cpp(361): assert""(pBuf != _null) && IsOpened()""failed in Write().

If I hit Stop, the program freezes for a moment, then closes by itself.

What does this mean and how to I fix it?

Miguel Gimenez:
Where are you saving the project? Are there spaces or non-ASCII symbols in the path? Do you have write permissions in the destination folder?

stahta01:
Link to the C::B FAQ https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/FAQ

But, I did not see anything that applied for the OP problem; other than the path having spaces or non ASCII in it as has already been suggested.

Edit: If the OP, original poster, is using Win11 then there might be a need for the OP to use a nightly build because there was a weird Win11 bug; but, I forgot what it was.

Tim S.

PsychadelicGumballMachine:

--- Quote from: Miguel Gimenez on March 19, 2022, 06:32:28 pm ---Where are you saving the project? Are there spaces or non-ASCII symbols in the path? Do you have write permissions in the destination folder?

--- End quote ---

1) Nowhere. I don't get a chance to save it.  Instead of hitting stop, I hit continue and it says:
Warning
Couldn't save project (whatever I called it)
(Maybe the file is Write-protected?)

2) No. I always just save it as Dummy as that was the example given in the tutorial I watched.

3) Not sure.  How do I find out if I have write permissions?  Is the fact that the warning is asking if it's write-protected mean I don't?

stahta01:
https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Creating_a_new_project

What did you put in "Folder to create project in"?

Edit: Or did the error happing sooner than that screen?
Edit2: We need Code::Blocks version and operating system info esp. if it happen before you put in the path to create project in.

Tim S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version