User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Code::Blocks future ?

<< < (2/5) > >>

BlueHazzard:

--- Quote ---I dislike it when people say this is not my job or this is "just" an open source project. It's the worst way to respond to any comments or requests, even if they are poorly thought like in this case. Sometimes I wonder why some people are in open source development if they hate it so much?
--- End quote ---
I have nothing (au contraire, i encourage!) posts with constructive critique, like "this does not work, when i do that" or "can you add this feature" or "this is missing" ecc...

For every forum post i read i have 4 assumptions i keep in my mind
1) Not every one (including me) speaks English as native, some language sound "rude" when you translate them to english so do not put to many weight in how wording "sounds"
2) No one wants to be rude, or "offending", if he seeks help in a forum post he wants to change or improve something and this is good. If it sounds rude, see 1)
3) Be as open as possible and try to think like the other. If someone asks a way to do things, try to do it his way. Point out that there could be a better way, but then try to support him also on his bad way, i certainly do not know all his details so be open
4) i do not care about politics and political correctness because this is a technical forum and here should be only discussed technical things, if this offends someone, not my problem

But then comes this post with this kind of wording

--- Quote --- who thought that it was a good idea to display a different tree than the one on the disk. Why virtual folders and not real ones? Seriously, is it too hard to create a simple folder from the interface?
--- End quote ---
specially the "Seriously, is it too hard to create a simple folder from the interface"  is worded as disrespectful  as it can be. Regardless my points on top. This is rude and not needed... If it would be worded like
"how can i display the hard disk file structure in the project tree" or "is it possible to create folders on hard disk from the project tree" or "what are the design decisions to not mirror the hard disk file structure in the project tree" i have no problem and i will answer and help happily...

[end of rant]

AndrewCot:

--- Quote --- I personally think Code::Blocks is fine, but it could be better for sure.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote --- I personally think Code::Blocks is fine, but it could be better for sure.
--- End quote ---
You should grab the source and start helping out fixing things, but first you need to read up and find out:
* Find the manual and WIKI and read up on the things you do not like to see if they are already implemented in case the option is not easily found
* How to get the latest source code.
* Find out how to build C::B.
* Find  out how debug C::B.
* Find out how to submit changes..
* Check the latest source code to see if it includes changes you want and itf it does figure out how to enable/disable what you .
* if the code does not include what you want then you fix it and submit a change

Krice:

--- Quote from: AndrewCot on March 20, 2022, 12:57:03 am ---You should grab the source and start helping out fixing things, but first
--- End quote ---

Let's figure out two main problems with this:

1. Open source projects like Code::Blocks already have a development team. Why should I or any random dude fix your problems and contribute to the development? This is your project. Why don't -you- fix those problems and add the missing features?

2. Most if not all (big) open source projects are quite messy and can be difficult to work on. So it's not just like you download the source and start programming. No, it's not that simple. You need to dive in deep to understand how it works, how it's built etc. even before you can improve it. Besides it's quite obvious that many of Code::Blocks users have our own projects which is the main focus for us. I'm working on 5 roguelike game projects and a pixel editor at the same time. I'm not whining anyone to help me with them.

AndrewCot:
Have you ever taken the time to fix any C::B issue you have come across or supplied a patch to implement something you wanted done?

mq77mwn3:
If CodeBlocks doesn't work for you then just use another IDE that works for you. CodeBlocks and other community projects will remain what they are if you can't submit new patches. If you don't have the ability to create new patches (students learning programming, finding a suitable IDE, like me), then just continue finding another IDE.

If they rejected your patches, then this is where a fork begin. DevCpp has many forks now. IMO, CodeBlocks code completion is bad but not as bad as any current forks of DevCpp. The code completion simply doesn't work on DevCpp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version