Author Topic: Create New Project Tutorial  (Read 5081 times)

Offline perezprograms

• Single posting newcomer
Create New Project Tutorial
« on: December 20, 2021, 07:20:14 am »
Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is answered elsewhere on the forums. However, I did do a search for "Create New Project" on the home page for the forums. This resulted in about 20 posts having to do with create projects. However, none of them answered the question I have in mind. For the record, I am using Linux Lite on my computer. Code::Blocks is 20.03.

Here is some more information:
Build: 2020-04-18, 19:47:24 - wx3.0.5 - gcc 9.3.0 (Linux, unicode) - 64 bit

If I open Code::Blocks, then I see the Several tabs. The tab in question is the "Start here" tab. Located near the middle of this tab is the "Create New Project" button. I press it. Then I see 34 various types of projects to create. My question is where I can access a tutorial on what each project does? More specifically, for now, I know what a console project is. However, I am not sure of the Linux equivalent to a c++ windows project. What is the equivalent to it?

Where would you recommend, I post a question like this? In summary here are my questions:
  • Where may I find out what project to create to accomplish certain goals?
  • What is  the Linux equivalent project to a c++ windows project?
  • If this question was answered in another post, what is the name (preferably) the link to this answer?

Warm regards,

Perez Programs

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Create New Project Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 12:17:16 pm »
I am afraid, there is not such information written down anywhere i know...

I have no windows c++ project template in my codeblocks, only win32 gui project, and well there is not linux equivalent for win32, becuase win32 is windows...
All projects are more or less templates for libraries, you can google the libraries and find out for what they are...

Offline perezprograms

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 04:39:25 pm »
I know there is a help page on creating new projects. It segues into a specific type of project. When I get over my apathy, I will include a link to it in this post. For now, I wish to address my inability to find the win32 gui project. As far as I can tell, the only two c++ projects available in the create new project dialogue are: Console Application and Glut Project. How may I have access to the Win32 GUI Project you mentioned?

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 04:52:59 pm »
Just at the end you have "Win32 GUI project" and "wxWidgets project"

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 05:28:58 pm »
What is  the Linux equivalent project to a c++ windows project?

The better question is: How to make a portable GUI project that runs under both Windows and Linux? The answer is to use wxWidgets which abstracts away the Windows API on Windows and GTK on Linux.

Code::Blocks is very well suited for this using the wxSmith plugin to design wxWidgets GUI. For this kind of project you will want "wxWidgets Project"