Author Topic: Codeblocks long startup time  (Read 14246 times)

Offline Cappedcrusader12

• Multiple posting newcomer
Codeblocks long startup time
« on: December 18, 2021, 08:06:34 am »
Hi,
I am new to the forums. I have Codeblocks 20.03 after changing from 17.12 and 16.10 and ever since i changed to 17.12 my startup times tripled in length. I have reinstalled it multiple times, and stil got the same result.
I am using it on a laptop with windows 10 pro, core i7 8750h, 16gb ram and gtx 1060.

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Codeblocks long startup time
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 08:15:13 am »
What is the startup time and what are the steps / process you are using to measuring it?

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 08:16:50 am »
The startup time is about 30 seconds, and I measured it with the stopwatch app on my phone

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:27:53 am »
The nightly 12579 on my PC took 5.34 seconds to start. Using the same process.

My C: is a Samsung 980 pro 1TB SSD, which is very fast and has the OS & dev tools on it, but it does NOT have any source code on it as I do not want to wear it out prematurely due to builds. I also have W10, but it is patched to the latest as is the rest of the apps and AV. I have 32Gb, but 16 to 32 should not affect loading, unless you have other apps chewing up memory. I have a AMD Ryzen 5700G and do not use a separate GPU as I do not play "games" for fun, but for work I do, but lets just say Lost Wages is the game type. Your CPU should be okay.

The 20.03 "flashes" up a dialog when it starts that was fixed in a nightly about 2 or 3 months ago. This may slow your setup and if it is try the latest nightly or if you do not want to install it manually have a read of the https://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,24592.0.html  thread. If after testing the nightly please post how you go and if it is still slow can you check the free ram and how much free space you have on C: as these could possibly affect the load time. The other ting that could also affect load time for the very first time is the AV installed as it will need to scan the files, so check the speed after starting C::B a few times. Another thing to check, which I have not looked at for years is the disk I/O and see if it is the problem.

BTW Reinstalling it in 99.9% of cases does not fix or change things, unless the config or app have become corrupted.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
In my system current head (32-bit version) took 3.03 seconds to start, but I only have some plugins enabled.

System: i7 8700K @ 3.7 GHz with SSD

Some antivirus can delay program start many seconds.

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 11:33:08 am »
Ok, so i've installed the latest nightly build using the unofficial installer, because I couldn't find the required dlls to make the program work. I still get the same startup time.
I opened the task manager and saw that there was not that much of a resource usage from opening it or the presence of the antivirus. I also installed it on my ssd to see if it would make a change, but it did not(the SSD is 2/3 full).

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 04:26:02 pm »
I would start disabling unnecessary plugins one by one to see if it is caused by one of them.

I tend to disable many plugins and C::B starts in just a few seconds on both my 10 year old Windows box (Win10) with a SSD system disk and my newer Linux box.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 09:04:07 pm »
Also try to rename your configuration file from C:\User\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Codeblocks\default.conf to default.conf.old and see if this speeds things up

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 12:27:59 pm »
The renaming of the default.conf file to default.conf.old reduced the time to 10 seconds. Thanks!

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 02:30:15 pm »
After restarting, it reverted to the normal time, even if I rename the newly created file.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 12:06:45 pm »
Can you share your conf file?
Are you loading a project?
What compiler do you have installed/Enabled?

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 01:10:15 pm »
Here is the conf file.I am not loading any projects, and i only have gnu gcc and ttd installed.

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 01:12:15 pm »
not Ttd, but GNU GCC TDM-64

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 11:29:46 pm »
Have you tried to deactivate plugins?
I can not find anything special in your config file...

Offline Cappedcrusader12

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 01:08:01 pm »
I disabled all the plugins and still got the same loading time.