Author Topic: Guide for building C::B on Linux request due to wiki 502 error  (Read 24575 times)

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Guide for building C::B on Linux request due to wiki 502 error
« on: September 07, 2021, 06:22:38 am »
Does anyone have an up to date guide for building C::B on Linux that they can give me or if someone can post a copy of the following wiki page as I cannot get to the wiki page due to the 502 errors:
  http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Linux

The 502's seem to have gotten worse over the last 2 days as I was able to get to it a week ago, but I only started to try and build it earlier today and have hit issues with missing or miss configured packages that should hopefully be documented on the wiki or if someone has an up to date guide.

Offline Commaster

• Almost regular
Re: Guide for building C::B on Linux request due to wiki 502 error
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:45:37 am »
Surprisingly I have no issues. Must be that IPv6/IPv4 thing again  ;)

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 09:32:40 am »
Thanks for the doc.

BTW I have IP6 disabled on my router.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 03:13:25 pm »
This is my build script under Kubuntu 20.04

Code
#!/bin/bash

#install build essentials for codeblocks with gtk2 and gtk3
sudo apt install cmake
sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install libgtk2.0-dev libhunspell-dev libgamin-dev
sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

#path to wxWidgets configuration scripts
WX_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/lib/wx/config

#actual wxWidgets configuration to use
#to see alternatives use: find /usr/local/lib/wx/config/*
WX_CONFIG=gtk2-unicode-3.0
WX_CONFIG_FULLPATH="$WX_CONFIG_DIR/$WX_CONFIG"

#build and install paths
CB_DIR=/ssd1/codeblocks
CB_BUILD_PATH="$CB_DIR/$WX_CONFIG/build"
CB_INSTALL_PATH="$CB_DIR/$WX_CONFIG/install"

#create build area
mkdir -p "$CB_BUILD_PATH"
pushd    "$CB_BUILD_PATH"
pwd
git clone https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf
cd codeblocks_sf/

#configure, build & install using selected configuration
./bootstrap
./configure --with-contrib-plugins=all             \
            --with-wx-config="$WX_CONFIG_FULLPATH" \
            --prefix="$CB_INSTALL_PATH"
make
make install
ls -l "$CB_INSTALL_PATH/bin"
popd

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:54:52 am »
@cacb than you very much for the script. I used it instead of the WIKI doc as the WIKI was for WxWidget 2.8 and as such was way out of date. I used GTK3. I was able to build and run the SF 12529 trunk code.

I had to add a few more packages from the default xubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64.iso install (on Virtualbox using a script) to get it to compile and remove the  --with-wx-config="$WX_CONFIG_FULLPATH" ./configure option as the wxconfig was not in the directory specified, but was in the path.

My updated script is below:
Code
#!/bin/bash

#---- install build essentials for codeblocks with gtk2 and gtk3 ----
sudo apt install -y git
sudo apt install -y cmake
sudo apt install -y build-essential
sudo apt install subversion
sudo apt install -y libhunspell-dev libgamin-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev

#-------- install build packages for codeblocks with gtk2 --------
# GTK2 #sudo apt install -y libgtk2.0-dev 

#-------- install build packages for codeblocks with gtk3 --------
sudo apt install -y libgtk-3-devmake
sudo apt install -y libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5 libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

# -----------------------------------------------------------------

#path to wxWidgets configuration scripts
WX_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/lib/wx/config

#actual wxWidgets configuration to use
#to see alternatives use: find /usr/local/lib/wx/config/*
WX_CONFIG=gtk3-unicode-3.0
WX_CONFIG_FULLPATH="$WX_CONFIG_DIR/$WX_CONFIG"

#build and install paths
CB_DIR=~/code/codeblocks
CB_BUILD_PATH="$CB_DIR/$WX_CONFIG/build"
CB_INSTALL_PATH="$CB_DIR/$WX_CONFIG/install"

#create build area
mkdir -p "$CB_BUILD_PATH"
pushd    "$CB_BUILD_PATH"
pwd
#git clone https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf codeblocks_git
#cd codeblocks_git
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/codeblocks/code/trunk codeblocks_sf
cd codeblocks_sf

# -----------------------------------------------------------------

#configure, build & install using selected configuration
./bootstrap
./configure --with-contrib-plugins=all             \
            --prefix="$CB_INSTALL_PATH"
#./configure --with-contrib-plugins=all             \
#            --with-wx-config="$WX_CONFIG_FULLPATH" \
#            --prefix="$CB_INSTALL_PATH"

make
make install
ls -l "$CB_INSTALL_PATH/bin"
popd

Below is the VirtualBox script I use to install the initial XUbuntu and then did an upgrade and ran the script. I hope this may save you time in the future if you need to use VB as it can be modified for Windows very easily as most of the lines are for configuring the Virtualbox common HDD, Network, Video, Sound and serial port settings.

Code
@rem https://kifarunix.com/how-to-automate-virtual-machine-installation-on-virtualbox/

set VM_Name=XUbuntu-2004-CB
set UserName=UNAME
set UserPassword=UPASSWORD
set ISO_IMAGE="%CD%\xubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64.iso"

@rem ==============================================================================

set VM_Directory=G:\VirtualBox
set VBoxManageExe="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"

@rem goto end
@rem goto OS_Install
@echo off
%VBoxManageExe% createvm --name %VM_Name% --ostype Ubuntu_64 --register --basefolder "%VM_Directory%"
%VBoxManageExe% createmedium --filename "%VM_Directory%\%VM_Name%\%VM_Name%.vdi" --format VDI --size 102200

%VBoxManageExe% storagectl %VM_Name% --name SATA --add SATA --controller IntelAhci
%VBoxManageExe% storageattach %VM_Name% --storagectl SATA --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "%VM_Directory%\%VM_Name%\%VM_Name%.vdi"

%VBoxManageExe% storagectl %VM_Name% --name IDE --add IDE --controller PIIX4
@rem %VBoxManageExe% storageattach %VM_Name% --storagectl IDE --port 0 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium "none"

%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --clipboard-mode bidirectional --draganddrop bidirectional
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --memory 8192 --vram 128
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --graphicscontroller vmsvga --monitorcount 2 --accelerate3d on
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --ioapic on
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --boot1 dvd --boot2 disk --boot3 none --boot4 none
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --cpus 4
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --audio dsound  --audiocontroller hda  --audioin off    --audioout on

%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --usb off
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --usbohci off
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --usbehci off
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --usbxhci off

%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --nic1 nat --nictype1 82540EM --cableconnected1 on --natpf1 ["EGM Simulator"],tcp,[0.0.0.0],3321,[0.0.0.0],3321

%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --nic2 none
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --nic3 none
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --nic4 none

%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --uart1 0x3f8 4 --uartmode1 COM1
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --uart2 off
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --uart3 0x3e8 4 --uartmode3 COM3
%VBoxManageExe% modifyvm %VM_Name% --uart4 0x2e8 3 --uartmode4 COM4

%VBoxManageExe% sharedfolder add %VM_Name% --name="VirtualBoxTransfer" --hostpath="%VM_Directory%\VB_Transfer" --automount --auto-mount-point="/home/%UserName%/Transfer"

:OS_Install
@rem  NOTE: A caret at the line end, appends the next line, the first character of the appended line will be escaped.

@echo on
%VBoxManageExe% unattended install "%VM_Name%" --user=%UserName% --password=%UserPassword% --country=AU --time-zone="Australia/Sydney" --hostname="%VM_Name%".myguest.virtualbox.org ^
--iso="%ISO_IMAGE%" --start-vm=gui --install-additions --post-install-command="/home/%UserName%/Transfer/SU_Install_Common_and_GamingMachine.sh"

@rem --additionsIsoPath = C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

@rem does NOT work %VBoxManageExe% guestproperty wait "%VM_Name%" installation_finished
@rem %VBoxManageExe%VBoxManage controlvm "%VM_Name%" acpipowerbutton
@rem %VBoxManageExe%VBoxManage startvm "%VM_Name%"

@rem %VBoxManageExe% --nologo guestcontrol "%VM_Name%" run --exe "usermod -G vboxsf -a ubuntu" --username su --password ubuntu --wait-stdout
@echo.
@echo.
@echo ^+=====================================================================================^+
@echo ^+                                                                                     ^|
@echo ^+  REBOOT THE VM ONCE THE INSTALL FINISHES FOR THE TRASFER DIRECTORY MAPPING TO SETUP ^|
@echo ^+                                                                                     ^|
@echo ^+=====================================================================================^+
@echo ^+  After the reboot run follwoing (su password is ubuntu):                            ^|
@echo ^+          su                                                                         ^|
@echo ^+          adduser ubuntu sudo                                                        ^|
@echo ^+  and then reboot.                                                                   ^|
@echo ^+ and then:                                                                           ^|
@echo ^+          su                                                                         ^|
@echo ^+          cd ./Transfer                                                              ^|
@echo ^+          ./SU_Install_Common_and_GamingMachine.sh                                   ^|
@echo.
@echo.

goto end

:end

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:27:06 pm »
Small update:

I have installed GCC 11.1.0 and have successfully built C::B with iGCC 11.1.0 and it runs.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:33:57 pm »
@cacb than you very much for the script.
You're welcome, thanks for the updates on GTK3 packages. I am building under Kubuntu 20.04 and find GTK2 works best in my case, but will be ready for GTK3.

Maintaining such a script is easier than a wiki I guess.

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 06:11:57 am »
Watch out when build C::B via workspace and/or project file on Linux as some of the project files include references to GTK2 like the following:

<Add option="`pkg-config gdk-2.0 --cflags`" />
               <Add option="`pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`" />

Hope this of some use for the future. Now for me to start working on getting the projects files to build with GTK3.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 11:27:45 am »
I am keeping my C::B Linux build script here
https://github.com/arnholm/cpde_3rdparty/blob/master/gcc/codeblocks/build_cb.sh

This build script has now been updated to use my new unofficial github mirror of the C::B SourceForge SVN repo
https://github.com/arnholm/codeblocks_sfmirror

The idea is that this mirror is updated automatically once per day and is intended to reflect the SVN repo exactly (it remains to be seen if this works ok when the SVN repo is next updated). The mirror contains a single master branch only, corresponding to SVN trunk. This mirror is passive, it does NOT accept pull requests or patches.

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 12:00:27 pm »
I think that the problem with all git unofficial C::B mirrors is that they don't have the fortranproject plugin. As this one is apparently only on svn, I don't know if a link from git is possible.
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:46:49 pm »
Everything that is in SVN trunk should be in the git mirror as far as I can tell.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 04:03:57 pm »

This build script has now been updated to use my new unofficial github mirror of the C::B SourceForge SVN repo
https://github.com/arnholm/codeblocks_sfmirror

The idea is that this mirror is updated automatically once per day and is intended to reflect the SVN repo exactly (it remains to be seen if this works ok when the SVN repo is next updated). The mirror contains a single master branch only, corresponding to SVN trunk. This mirror is passive, it does NOT accept pull requests or patches.

Good work!
I see OBF's  obfuscated/codeblocks_sf: Unofficial GIT clone of C::B repo in SourceForge (maintained by C::B developer, accepts patches or pull requests) hasn't got updated for a long time.

BTW, I personally think we can drop svn and use git for the official developers.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 04:29:42 pm »
Good work!
I see OBF's  obfuscated/codeblocks_sf: Unofficial GIT clone of C::B repo in SourceForge (maintained by C::B developer, accepts patches or pull requests) hasn't got updated for a long time.
Thanks! Yes, it was the missing updates there that caused me to make another mirror. OBF's mirror has served me very well for a long time, maybe it will get up to date again.

BTW, I personally think we can drop svn and use git for the official developers.
Technically that should be possible, but that is up to the official developers to decide obviously. I agree it might be a good idea.

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 11:57:12 pm »
In the past OBF has shot down the move to GIT a number of times and as such it may not fly.  I agree moving to GIT is the way forward in this decade.

Saying that SF has GIT support, so the first thing is for someone to figure out how GIT in SF works if you are already are using SVN see if you enable/setup/config GIT in SF what how do the SVN and GIT interact and will this enable usage of both GIT or SVN and the changes automatically get applied to the other. I have no idea if this is possible or not or how SF version control works under the hood.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:01:08 am by AndrewCot »

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 12:00:49 am »
@caab your GITHUB repo like OBF's does NOT include the SVN referenced Fortran repo. Be aware that as such if you use it as it is it will not build due to the missing Fortran plugin source.