User forums > Help

Windows Codeblocks uninstall - Associations left over after uninstall

<< < (2/3) > >>

Krice:
Is this a big problem? I think some programs do this and Windows also has now user directories (etc.) where programs leave their files, which I think is annoying.

sodev:
The problem is, the installer usually runs with root rights, so the U of HKCU is root. But IIRC Codeblocks sets these associations as the user it runs under, which usually is not root, so its U is another one. Even worse, it could have more than one value for U. This could only be avoided if Codeblocks sets these associations under HKLM, but for this it needs to elevate itself to root. This also has the effect that these associations are now system wide instead of user only.

--- Quote from: cacb on July 25, 2021, 08:49:21 am ---If the installer establishes the associations, instead of Code::Blocks itself (or maybe in addition to), then an uninstall will remove and tidy up the associations.

--- End quote ---

Not by itself, you have to add code to remove these associations yourself 8). Still, the same issues apply like mentioned above.

cacb:
I have mainly some experience using InnoSetup, and then I believe this is not a problem (I have done similar with InnoSetup in the past).  "The uninstall info root key will always be HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and the "common" forms of the Shell Folder constants are mapped to the "user" forms, even if administrative privileges are available"

Probably these things are features of the installer being used. Probably NSIS is different, I'll leave it there.

AndrewCot:
@sodev The keys listed that I have a problem with are added by the CB exe and as such are in the HKCU.

@cacb I have a "working" inno setup. It does a full install only and it is allot easier to implement the registry key removal code and after removed CCleaner does not find any registry issues (there are still fragments of CB in other registry entries that I need to check out). BTW I think I need to find a better registry checker program as searching the registry via regedit is slooowwwww.

The next step for me is to check the NSIS script registry removed code works the same way as the ISS pascal registry removal code and update it if there is any discrepancies.

sodev:

--- Quote from: AndrewCot on July 27, 2021, 05:09:23 am ---@sodev The keys listed that I have a problem with are added by the CB exe and as such are in the HKCU.

--- End quote ---
And this is the problem, as regular user you can only access YOUR HKCU, but not the HKCU of OTHER users. For this you need to be root, enumerate all user accounts and check their HKCU. At least for NSIS this is not (easily) possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version