Author Topic: Compiler setup change has caused looping on Compiler selection screen  (Read 7259 times)

Offline pabristow

• Multiple posting newcomer
I have been trying to add a new compiler version (to the several that I have already).

But have clearly erred somehow because whenever I start Codeblocks, I get the Compiler selection screen, but no choice of compiler (even "No compiler") is acceptable.  Nor is Cancel and I am stuck in a loop with only "end Task" as an escape.

Any suggestions on how best to get back to normal operator (and compiler section),

Thanks.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
How have you added new compiler (exact steps please)?
Have you searched your default.conf file for "gnu_gcc_1001"?

You said that you get this at the start of CB, but this is not the compiler select dialog you get at first start.
Do you have the option to automatically load the last project enabled?

I don't understand why Cancel doesn't solve the problem. It seems it should. I don't know how the code operates, but at least the message states that it should.

Also it should be possible to select "GNU GCC compiler" and continue (but the project would be broken of course). Are you able to do so?
Have you inspected the Settings -> Compiler? Are they correct?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline pabristow

My problem is that I can't get to the settings screen shown  >:(

- or anywhere but the screen shown - whatever I click on.  Smells like a buglet that cancel doesn't cancel.

I suspect I'm going to have to take out or fix some xml setting file?  But I'm trying to seek advice before going for any nuclear options ;-)

Or should a try a reinstall of Codeblocks?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Reinstalling doesn't solve configuration problems. The configuration files are not part of the installations. This is true for most programs in 2021.

Does any information in the dialog change when you click cancel? Or if you select some compiler and click cancel.
If you nuke something please save a copy so we can compare before-after and see if there is something which could be fixed in CB itself and it is not just user error.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
@pabristow
your problem is likely in C::B  ~/.config/codeblocks/default.conf

The compilers are defined there. I have user defined compilers myself.

if you exit C::B, rename that file and restart C::B you should be back to start

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
if you exit C::B, rename that file and restart C::B you should be back to start
And you loose all settings (for everything).

Offline pabristow

I was rather hoping to avoid losing all settings !

But I'll take a 'backup' as suggested.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
You can use a diff tool and binary search revert the settings to find the one causing the problem.
You can also edit the project file temporarily to see if it is not causing the problem.

But you haven't answered most of my questions, so until then I'm just a spectator :)

Offline pabristow

The effect of selecting any compiler, or no compiler, or cancel is the same - asking about gcc920 and/or 930. I get back to the same screen shown as a snip in my first cry-for-help.

As you predict, removing default.conf gets CB working again - but after deleting all my config :-(

This is not where I would like to be ;-)

so I have search a bit further and find the attached message showing that 920 and 930 (now deleted as they are too buggy to be useful for my purposes) are mentioned.

Are these bind files relevant?

I'd prefer to try to edit some config if possible, evne if that would be regarded as 'brave'.

C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers\options_gcc.xml ?

Any suggestions?

Offline pabristow

After a delay for more urgent matters, I have returned to using CodeBlocks and after some grappling with the .xml, I got a default.conf working OK with recent Clang and GNU GCC compilers.

I note that using Codeblocks always seems to make a lot of changes to the default.conf for reasons unclear to me.

I'd really like to remove all the unused (and not useful to me) compilers, leaving just the handful that I use, preferably at least at the top or bottom so that finding them is quicker.

But when I try remove unwanted compilers using CB, Settings, Compiler, chose Borland (say), the option for delete is grayed out. 

If I use force majeur and delete the <bcc> ... </bcc> section, Codeblocks helpfull(?) restores it!

So this is hardcoded somewhere?  Any suggestions on really removing unwanted compilers?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Compiler setup change has caused looping on Compiler selection screen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 05:46:57 pm »
To pabristow:

I use an profile option in my Windows Short-cut of " --personality=build_msys2_mgw64" this normally prevent CB from updating my config.

It might or might not help in your case.

Replace "build_msys2_mgw64" with whatever make sense to name your CB profile. "default" and "ask" are bad names to try to use!!

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org