Author Topic: 20.3 Slow to launch on SSD Laptop  (Read 13149 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: 20.3 Slow to launch on SSD Laptop
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 03:13:04 pm »
You continue to guess what the problem is. This rarely ends with solved problem. You need to use a profiler to see where time is spent. Unfortunately I cannot help much with windows guidance... Both ETW and VTune might be usable for find the root cause.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cpcfreak

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 01:42:11 am »
Yes, thanks for the advice.

fwiw, I've given VTune a initial run and it's shown some anolmaly, in that when the C::B compiler plugin is enabled the CPU is idle for 70% of the time between launch and the GUI opening, so I'm not sure what that means if the problem is CPU bound.

I'll need a run quite a few variants on C::B launch to see if I can make sense of this, and if I find anything solid I'll report.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 10:13:59 am »
There are two oddities in CPU usage during Code::Blocks launch as it is parsing the lexers, during that moment you see the program icon flashing on the taskbar.

Fwiw, I have a 4-5 year old laptop with Win10 and I just installed  codeblocks-20.03mingw-setup.exe on it. Once installed, it didn't detect the MinGW compiler, but it was easy to tell it to auto detect it.

Then, when starting Code::Blocks I observe the same icon flashing on the taskbar as you describe, however the process does not take much more than ~10 seconds. If I disable the compiler plugin, the icon flashing on the taskbar goes away, and the startup process is quicker. Once the compiler plugin is re-enabled, the icon-flashing returns, but it doesn't last very long. 

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 09:08:40 pm »
fwiw, I've given VTune a initial run and it's shown some anolmaly, in that when the C::B compiler plugin is enabled the CPU is idle for 70% of the time between launch and the GUI opening, so I'm not sure what that means if the problem is CPU bound.
You need to do a system wide profile. C::B is starting many processes to do some stuff with them at startup (mainly compilers).
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cpcfreak

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 03:17:39 am »
Then, when starting Code::Blocks I observe the same icon flashing on the taskbar as you describe, however the process does not take much more than ~10 seconds. If I disable the compiler plugin, the icon flashing on the taskbar goes away, and the startup process is quicker. Once the compiler plugin is re-enabled, the icon-flashing returns, but it doesn't last very long.
Yes, noted, on my desktop HDD that is the experience, on the SSD laptop the launch process takes between 70s and 83s when testing with VTunes but only when the compiler plugin is enabled.

Offline cpcfreak

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 03:19:21 am »
You need to do a system wide profile. C::B is starting many processes to do some stuff with them at startup (mainly compilers).
Yes noted, I'll hopefully get to the bottom of hit and be able to post an update.

Thanks for all your assistance so far it's been invaluable.