User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Names of compiler executables: Self-built vs Official

<< < (4/5) > >>

stahta01:

--- Quote from: PB on July 02, 2021, 04:23:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: stahta01 on July 02, 2021, 03:41:46 am ---My MSys2 mingw32/bin has "i686-w64-mingw32-" prefix are you sure you looked at the full folder?

--- End quote ---
Sorry, you are right I somehow managed to miss those files.

Although it seems that people moved away from MinGW to mingw-64, I have also downloaded the original MinGW package (with GCC 9.2). It has the unprefixed gcc and g++ executables and is the only package of all I tried having them also prefixed with "mingw32-".

The question remains: It seems that all relevant mingw distributions have gcc.exe and g++.exe so why use the prefix (be it correct or incorrect) for them?

--- End quote ---

I use the prefix because I have had the auto detect change the path without any warning!
Using the prefix I at least get an error with the bit type has switch!

Tim S.

PB:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on July 02, 2021, 07:59:30 pm ---I use the prefix because I have had the auto detect change the path without any warning!

--- End quote ---

If by "I use the prefix" means that you changed the C::B code then I find this to be not the best solution to the above problem:
1. Only MinGW uses "mingw32-" prefix and AFAICT, this distribution has been on its way out and has been superseded by mingw-64.
2. Changing the "base" GCC compiler settings affects (read "breaks") the custom compiler configurations derived from it.

But again, I know little about C::B so I am probably missing something here.

stahta01:

--- Quote from: PB on July 03, 2021, 08:24:12 am ---
--- Quote from: stahta01 on July 02, 2021, 07:59:30 pm ---I use the prefix because I have had the auto detect change the path without any warning!

--- End quote ---

If by "I use the prefix" means that you changed the C::B code then I find this to be not the best solution to the above problem:
1. Only MinGW uses "mingw32-" prefix and AFAICT, this distribution has been on its way out and has been superseded by mingw-64.
2. Changing the "base" GCC compiler settings affects (read "breaks") the custom compiler configurations derived from it.

But again, I know little about C::B so I am probably missing something here.

--- End quote ---

I USE THE CB GUI TO EDIT THE TOOLCHAIN SETTINGS!

Tim S.

PB:
I think I have half-solved the mystery.

In the code repo, the incorrect "mingw32-" prefix is there in the options_gcc.xml file (since at least 2013):
https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf/blob/master/src/plugins/compilergcc/resources/compilers/options_gcc.xml#L5

However, in Code::Blocks v20.03 installation this file (as CodeBlocks\share\CodeBlocks\compilers\options_gcc.xml) is different and the prefix is not there. It also has a different date (2020/04/02) then all the other installed files which are dated 2020/03/14.

I used codeblocks-20.03-setup.exe installer but that file is the same (i.e., no prefix for g++.exe and gcc.exe on Windows) also in codeblocks-20.03-nosetup.zip. All Windows install packages on SourceForge are dated 2020/04/03 while Linux ones are from March.

So the conclusion is: Someone must have modified (removed the prefix) file options_gcc.xml used in the Code::Blocks v20.03 packages, at least the Windows ones. Who did this and why modify the file in the install package instead in the code repository is the unsolved half of the mystery.

oBFusCATed:
@PB have you checked the 20.03 branch if the file is the same there?
@killerbot, @morten can you comment on this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version