Author Topic: GDB debugger on linux mint  (Read 4621 times)

Offline DaveG

• Single posting newcomer
GDB debugger on linux mint
« on: June 02, 2021, 05:34:01 pm »
I've installed codeblocks on linux mint 20.1. Every time I try to debug a console application the console appears with the message "warning: GDB: failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted". It sometimes displays the output I want and sometimes doesn't. Otherwise it appears to be debugging ok, shows the correct values etc in the watch window, but the console disappears as soon as the programme ends so you have to put in extra user input lines to see what's on screen. And it sometimes crashes completely and doesn't allow you to stop the programme or run it again without closing the project and reopening it. Anybody got any ideas what is happening?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: GDB debugger on linux mint
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:42:06 pm »
1. "warning: GDB: failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted" - this is not a problem if you're not debugging some advanced terminal UI application as far as I know
2. "but the console disappears as soon as the programme ends" this is expected
3. "And it sometimes crashes completely" - what crashes?

It is hard to give answers when you report multiple problems in one go...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline DaveG

• Single posting newcomer
Re: GDB debugger on linux mint
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:16:05 pm »
Thanks for your response to the first two issues, that's really useful information.

As for point 3, I'm not going to embarrass myself by admitting what was happening there  :-[