Author Topic: Font size in "Manager" window, Projects/Resources tabs  (Read 13716 times)

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Re: Font size in "Manager" window, Projects/Resources tabs
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 09:59:24 am »
Can you show a screenshot with these two and some native KDE app. They probably look correct.

4 applications from left

1. Thunderbird newsgroup tree view
2. Code::Blocks Projects tree view
3. Dolphin File Folder tree view
4. gtk3-widget-factory tree view

The tree view in Code::Blocks is the odd one with smaller fonts compared to the others

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 10:58:04 am »
Odd, just C::B looks different if I'm not too blind.
Can you run the wxWidgets' tree sample and compare it to C::B? Or some other simple wxWidgets app with a tree in it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 01:24:42 pm »
Odd, just C::B looks different if I'm not too blind.
Can you run the wxWidgets' tree sample and compare it to C::B? Or some other simple wxWidgets app with a tree in it.
Yes, I agree. it is just C::B that looks different.

In the attached screenshot you have from left
1. Code::Blocks
2. wxWidgets wxTreeCtrl sample
3. dep3, my wxWidgets app built with wxWidgets 3.0.4 and gtk2.0

It is quite clear that C::B is different

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 02:29:54 pm »
Hm, odd still.
I would expect that CB and wxTreeCtrl would look the same if they use the same wxWidgets libs.
Is this the case from the image above?

gtk2 vs gtk3 differences are expected.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 03:36:12 pm »
Hm, odd still.
I would expect that CB and wxTreeCtrl would look the same if they use the same wxWidgets libs.
Is this the case from the image above?

gtk2 vs gtk3 differences are expected.
C::B is installed from ubuntu repository, and I guess that is dependent on repository wx *.so libs.

The wxTreeCtrl  sample was built from the samples directory of my static libs wxWidgets with gtk2.
/usr/local/bin/wx-config --list
    Default config is gtk2-unicode-static-3.0

So I did a little bit of research on how to build the wxTreeCtrl sample against the same wxWidgets libs as C::B.
I did :
sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev
/usr/bin/wx-config --list
    Default config is gtk3-unicode-3.0

Then copied sample wxtreectrl to wxtreectrl2 and I changed a line in makefile.unx to

# Location and arguments of wx-config script
WX_CONFIG ?= /usr/bin/wx-config

Then did
make -f makefile.unx

The attached screenshot shows (from left)
1 wxTreeCtrl sample built with gtk2-unicode-static-3.0
2 wxTreeCtrl sample built with gtk3-unicode-3.0
3 My dep3 app showing that #2 depends on the repository wx libs (*.so) presumably the same as C::B

It is obvious that the tree view sample font is different from gtk2 to gtk3, the font size is smaller in the gtk3 version, which to me is a problem.

So it seems to me to be a gtk3 problem...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 06:06:55 pm »
It is obvious that the tree view sample font is different from gtk2 to gtk3, the font size is smaller in the gtk3 version, which to me is a problem.
Good, now you can use trac.wxwidgets.org to report the problem there. But first probably try 3.1.5+gtk3. It might have been fixed.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 07:48:28 pm »
Good, now you can use trac.wxwidgets.org to report the problem there. But first probably try 3.1.5+gtk3. It might have been fixed.
I managed with some difficulty to build wx 3.1.5+gtk3

See screenshot (from left), wxTreeCtrl sample
1. wx3.0.4+gtk2 (static libraries)
2. wx3.0.4+gtk3 (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/*.so)
3. wx3.1.5+gtk3 (/usr/local/lib/*.so)

So clearly, the issue is fixed in wx3.1.5

So, to fix the original problem, Code::Blocks must be built against wx3.1.5 and gtk3? Has that been tested?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 12:50:20 am »
So, to fix the original problem, Code::Blocks must be built against wx3.1.5 and gtk3?
Not exactly. If you can find the fix in wx-master, it could be backported, probably (if it is not something hairy).

Has that been tested?
I'm tracking wx-master + gtk2 for my debugging needs. Using the GTK3 port is known to be buggy in general.
I'll have to spend some time improving the gtk3 support soon... :(

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 09:08:11 am »
I'm tracking wx-master + gtk2 for my debugging needs. Using the GTK3 port is known to be buggy in general.

Well that's a shame given that if you install Code::Blocks from the Ubuntu repository, you get a GTK3 port :(

My goal here is not really to debug wx, but simply to get a Code::Blocks IDE under Kubuntu 20.04 with as few bugs as possible. So it seems to me that maybe I should instead build Code::Blocks from source based on a stable version of wx + gtk2

On a related (?) note, I have noticed another problem in the 20.03 official Code::Blocks IDE on Ubuntu. That is in Build Options -> Linker Settings. If you try to reorder libraries using the up/down arrow buttons, things get completely messed up. Is that a likely GTK3 related issue or something else?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 09:10:03 am by cacb »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 09:21:00 am »
On a related (?) note, I have noticed another problem in the 20.03 official Code::Blocks IDE on Ubuntu. That is in Build Options -> Linker Settings. If you try to reorder libraries using the up/down arrow buttons, things get completely messed up. Is that a likely GTK3 related issue or something else?
Can you post the exact steps to reproduce, probably in new topic. We've had problems with this in the past, but I think, I've fixed those. It might be another gtk3 issue, but it is unlikely.

Here you can try night builds for ubuntu https://launchpad.net/~fuscated/+archive/ubuntu/codeblocks-nightly they should be compatible with kubuntu, too

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 10:07:49 am »
Thank you for that link. I will follow up in a new topic regarding the Build -> Settings issue.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 09:50:29 am »
For the record: Using https://launchpad.net/~fuscated/+archive/ubuntu/codeblocks-nightly did not solve the small font size issue, nor the issue discussed in https://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,24518.0.html

I can live with my font size tweaks for now, but will probably attempt to build wx+c::b with gtk2 if gtk3+wx+c::b cause other real problems.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 09:52:20 am by cacb »