User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Font size in "Manager" window, Projects/Resources tabs

<< < (3/6) > >>

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: cacb on May 26, 2021, 01:07:38 pm ---I still see sometimes (not always) that the "Build Target" choice in the Compiler Toolbar is not showing properly (i.e. showing nothing) with increased font size, but it is not 100% repeatable so it is not something to worry about unless it persists. 

--- End quote ---
I think this is known problem.
I think you see this problem: https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/956/

--- Quote from: cacb on May 26, 2021, 01:07:38 pm ---All of this would probably be easier if one could set the font size of the "Manager" panel within C::B, as is possible for the logs. But It seems to be workable the way it is now. I appreciate the assistance received!

--- End quote ---

Probably, but then other parts of the UI would be hard to read, also other gtk3 applications would suffer from the same problem, so I think it is better to solve this globally.

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on May 26, 2021, 01:49:51 pm ---You can add a ticket on SF for a feature request so it wont get lost...
I think it should be doable to implement it...

--- End quote ---
@cacb Please don't do what BlueHazzard suggests, see above for explanation why I think this way. We don't need another option to confuse people.

cacb:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 26, 2021, 01:53:08 pm ---I think this is known problem.
I think you see this problem: https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/956/

--- End quote ---
This is most likely true, yes. I have build target names like 'GCC_Release' and 'GCC_Debug'. They are not very long IMHO, but they trigger the issue when increasing font size in some way. It is worth noting that disabling/enabling the compiler toolbar in a C::B session seems to fix the issue for that session, so it could also be an initialization problem.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 26, 2021, 01:53:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: cacb on May 26, 2021, 01:07:38 pm ---All of this would probably be easier if one could set the font size of the "Manager" panel within C::B, as is possible for the logs. But It seems to be workable the way it is now. I appreciate the assistance received!

--- End quote ---

Probably, but then other parts of the UI would be hard to read, also other gtk3 applications would suffer from the same problem, so I think it is better to solve this globally.

--- End quote ---
Maybe consider a global font setting in C::B then, because the 'global dance' in the Window Manager (KDE or Gnome) in combination with applications is not so easy in practice. The global changes required for C::B affect other applications in sometimes unwanted ways, and the other way around. An example: I use the Brave browser and the URL bar had very small fonts indeed, and no way to adjust so I had to go back to setting KDE DPI to 120% again, which affects C::B and others. It would have been better to adjust that in Brave. Adjusting global settings is really a tight 'dance', sometimes with no good outcome. I appreciate the idea of adjusting globally, but sometime local overrides are necessary.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 26, 2021, 01:53:08 pm ---@cacb Please don't do what BlueHazzard suggests, see above for explanation why I think this way. We don't need another option to confuse people.

--- End quote ---
Ok, I have shared my thoughts above and leave it to you guys to decide. Thanks for the assistance in any case!

oBFusCATed:
I'm not sure what is correct actually.
Your monitor has dpi of 107, this means that 107/92=1.1630434782608696, so you have to run at 116.3% scaling factor to get the same fonts as the same 92 dpi monitor (full hd, 1920x1200, etc). But GTK3 doesn't support fractional scaling factors (at least the last time I've checked it didn't).
So to me it seems plausible that setting 120% is the correct thing to do. And it should be the only thing you need to do in order to get good looking apps.

Obviously this is not the case. Also it is quite hard to test thing, because it needs various different monitors. :(
I have to test what happens if I use VirtualBox's scaling factors.

Is there any documentation about this in KDE? Can you contact KDE people, so they can give a recommendation what is the correct value.
What do you need to do to get good looking KDE apps and fonts? Can you set it up and then show a screen shot next to gtk-widget-factory/CB?

:rant: As always the opensource people did the worst job compared to the commercial vendors (macOS/windows)

cacb:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 26, 2021, 05:30:45 pm ---Is there any documentation about this in KDE? Can you contact KDE people, so they can give a recommendation what is the correct value.
What do you need to do to get good looking KDE apps and fonts? Can you set it up and then show a screen shot next to gtk-widget-factory/CB?

:rant: As always the opensource people did the worst job compared to the commercial vendors (macOS/windows)

--- End quote ---

I am just a user of KDE. There is probably some documentation somewhere, but I have no idea where. For now, the experimentation and iterations described here have provided a reasonable compromise for myself, even if I may change it again. It is just that I think it was a bit more effort than it should be and my suggestions was aimed at making it easier for other users with similar issues.

Right now I am running with 12pt fonts and 120 DPI as a compromise between conflicting requirements from different applications. Now the tree view in gtk-widget-factory is different with bigger fonts and more spaces than in the C::B Projects tree.  I can live with this, it just illustrates that relying on only global settings does not always work 100% because not all applications adopt the settings the same way.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: cacb on May 27, 2021, 08:42:40 am ---I am just a user of KDE. There is probably some documentation somewhere, but I have no idea where. For now, the experimentation and iterations described here have provided a reasonable compromise for myself, even if I may change it again. It is just that I think it was a bit more effort than it should be and my suggestions was aimed at making it easier for other users with similar issues.

--- End quote ---
Does this mean that you're just mashing settings and hoping to get it right?
KDE has support forums and wikis. You as a user could describe the problem with more details, so they can guide you better.
If I am to start a discussion would be something like a third person description of the situation and I'm sure I'll get the details wrong.

--- Quote from: cacb on May 27, 2021, 08:42:40 am ---Right now I am running with 12pt fonts and 120 DPI as a compromise between conflicting requirements from different applications. Now the tree view in gtk-widget-factory is different with bigger fonts and more spaces than in the C::B Projects tree. 

--- End quote ---
This difference is odd and as far as I know it shouldn't happen.
Can you show a screenshot with these two and some native KDE app. They probably look correct.

--- Quote from: cacb on May 27, 2021, 08:42:40 am ---I can live with this, it just illustrates that relying on only global settings does not always work 100% because not all applications adopt the settings the same way.

--- End quote ---
Nope, this just illustrates what happens when the root causes for problem are not solved correctly.
I repeat even if we add a setting for the tree all other fonts would be too small and we'll have to add even more settings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version