Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

Will C::B ever move to Git w/ Github or Gitlab?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Lazauya:

--- Quote from: WinterMute on April 30, 2021, 02:40:55 pm ---Why not just switch the development there and use normal git workflow instead of going back to svn at all?

There's also the CI infrastructure on there that would allow builds to be released for basically every commit if you wanted.

--- End quote ---

This. Not to mention a really simple and convenient issue tracking interface and the ability to have a native wiki. (wiki.codeblocks.org has been down for me since yesterday).

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: WinterMute on April 30, 2021, 02:40:55 pm ---Why not just switch the development there and use normal git workflow instead of going back to svn at all?

--- End quote ---
The svn workflow doesn't matter for outside people. It causes headaches for me, because I have to do some extra steps, but outside people contributing could use only git and I'm fine to apply git patches or take pull-requests on github.

--- Quote from: WinterMute on April 30, 2021, 02:40:55 pm ---There's also the CI infrastructure on there that would allow builds to be released for basically every commit if you wanted.

--- End quote ---
Nope, this won't happen if we still use cb to build cb. I've tried to setup the windows alternative to travis and it failed miserably and I've abondon it.
Also no one is stopping me to setup this even if the project is on source-forge. (I already have travis-ci builds for ubuntu)

Lazauya:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on April 30, 2021, 08:02:28 pm ---Nope, this won't happen if we still use cb to build cb. I've tried to setup the windows alternative to travis and it failed miserably and I've abondon it.
Also no one is stopping me to setup this even if the project is on source-forge. (I already have travis-ci builds for ubuntu)

--- End quote ---

So is this the thing stopping migration? Or are there other reasons too?

stahta01:

--- Quote from: Lazauya on May 02, 2021, 02:52:32 am ---Or are there other reasons too?

--- End quote ---

Right now, the SVN reversion number is used as the internal CB version number.

That is a blocking issue; that may be simple or hard to fix.

The number of core CB developers who do not want to switch to Git is likely the main stopping issue.

Since, I am not even a CB developer I have no idea what reasons are the ones that need fixed before moving to Git.

I did read that the last key stopping issue on the GCC project was good software to maintain the SVN history during the move to Git.

With GCC, there was unofficial mirrors and later a more official unofficial single mirror for the others to use as a base.

Tim S.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on May 02, 2021, 04:06:59 am ---1. Right now, the SVN reversion number is used as the internal CB version number.
That is a blocking issue; that may be simple or hard to fix.

2. The number of core CB developers who do not want to switch to Git is likely the main stopping issue.

Since, I am not even a CB developer I have no idea what reasons are the ones that need fixed before moving to Git.

3. I did read that the last key stopping issue on the GCC project was good software to maintain the SVN history during the move to Git.

With GCC, there was unofficial mirrors and later a more official unofficial single mirror for the others to use as a base.

--- End quote ---
1. This one is not an issue. We can use the commit hash, we can use a date, we could use monotonically increasing git-tags.
2. This was the case 5 years ago. I've not checked what is the status in 2021, but I don't care.
3. We have full history on master/trunk already. Not an issue.

stahta01: Keep in mind that the github "trolls" don't request just a switch to git, it is "you're on github or I won't contribute to your project" mantra which I don't understand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version