Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

Will C::B ever move to Git w/ Github or Gitlab?

<< < (5/6) > >>

WinterMute:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 02, 2021, 07:41:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 02, 2021, 01:36:28 pm ---Thing about github though is that some employers like to look at a candidate's github commit history and upstream contributions. If you just give credit in the commit message then they won't show up in the contributor list.

--- End quote ---
You can list the hashes in a repo in your resume/cv if this is the only public thing you've done and you're proud of it and thinks it is important.
--- End quote ---

No offence but this is a completely absurd statement. No employer is going to look at a list of hashes in a CV and cross reference them against an unofficial mirror of a subversion repository. I feel like you're just trolling with quite a lot of these answers. It's perfectly acceptable to just say you don't want to move to github you knpw.

--- Quote ---I only use svn to checkout the repo in order to make ubuntu night builds. I use git exclusively for everything else, I'm fine if you post git patches or pull requests. So C::B is not requesting svn patches only. But the github trolls insist that the whole project needs to be on github otherwise they won't contribute.

--- End quote ---

I don't really understand why you'd use subversion for anything if you've essentially already moved to git. Why are you using subversion for that?

Everything else I kind of feel is people talking at cross purposes. It's not necessary to move everything to github. I'd be more than satisfied with an official github repository where PRs can be made and discussed. Where PRs could be merged once they're acceptable. Ideally using the git workflow that then leaves the author intact so it shows up on github stats. So git blame works and you know who to ask about particular code if it's confusing.

I guess the real question is do any current code::blocks devs not use git for development? Is there any reason not to switch development completely to git now? Forget about github and all the other stuff. Would it be possible to have the code maintained in a git repository & contributions made via git format-patch style patchsets at the very least?

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 04, 2021, 11:37:11 am ---I don't really understand why you'd use subversion for anything if you've essentially already moved to git. Why are you using subversion for that?

--- End quote ---
There was a discussion in the past, there were people against a move to git and that's it. I've not bothered to reopen it since, because it doesn't matter that much. I have better things to spend my time.

--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 04, 2021, 11:37:11 am ---Where PRs could be merged once they're acceptable. Ideally using the git workflow that then leaves the author intact so it shows up on github stats. So git blame works and you know who to ask about particular code if it's confusing.

--- End quote ---
git blame still works, because we keep the original author mostly in tact. We use ticket ids and so on.
The PR workflow on github is horrendous IMO, so even if we switch on git I'd not auto-merge PRs.
I don't know how you ask people on random commits, github doesn't allow it, the email in git doesn't need to be a real one. Sometimes I use my real email, but most of the times it is an email I don't even have access to.

--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 04, 2021, 11:37:11 am ---I guess the real question is do any current code::blocks devs not use git for development?

--- End quote ---
No idea, I've not bothered with this topic in the last 5 years.

--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 04, 2021, 11:37:11 am ---Is there any reason not to switch development completely to git now?

--- End quote ---
Answered already above.

--- Quote from: WinterMute on May 04, 2021, 11:37:11 am ---Would it be possible to have the code maintained in a git repository & contributions made via git format-patch style patchsets at the very least?

--- End quote ---
You can do this already. I'll take the patches apply them, add the contribution info, edit them if required (most of the patches do require edits anyway) and push them to svn.

Lazauya:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 04, 2021, 01:19:34 am ---Someday if I (or someone else) port the build system to cmake or meson, I'll give it another try.

--- End quote ---

I started migrating to cmake. I know you said that this wasn't directly related to Git, but I do hope it makes Github/Gitlab integration easier. I couldn't create a branch on your repository, so I forked it and created the branch on mine. Here's the branch: https://github.com/Lazauya/codeblocks_sf/tree/cmake

oBFusCATed:
Deleting autotools as a first step is the wrong move...

Lazauya:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 12, 2021, 10:14:39 am ---Deleting autotools as a first step is the wrong move...

--- End quote ---

I don't have the authority to delete anything from any official repositories. If you're referencing how it's gone from my branch, that was just for making the conversion easier. The only thing thay would be incompatible would be the config.h.in, so maintaining the legacy build system alongside cmake should be simple enough.

In any case, what would be the first step? What can I do to make this happen? You said that you you don't want to spend your time doing it, but I do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version