Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

Will C::B ever move to Git w/ Github or Gitlab?

(1/6) > >>

Lazauya:
Title says it all. I'd like to start contributing to the project, and I think the vast majority of people use Git now, including myself. I think switching to Github/Gitlab would increase visibility for the project and would also help bring in new contributors as those services really do make contributing to open source projects easier

I've seen that this has been suggested in the past, so I'm curious why it hasn't been done; I haven't seen a real reason in any of the public discussion on the topic.

stahta01:
For now, I think the best that can be expected is an official git mirror of the current SVN repo.

Tim S.

ollydbg:

--- Quote from: Lazauya on April 30, 2021, 12:11:12 am ---Title says it all. I'd like to start contributing to the project, and I think the vast majority of people use Git now, including myself. I think switching to Github/Gitlab would increase visibility for the project and would also help bring in new contributors as those services really do make contributing to open source projects easier

I've seen that this has been suggested in the past, so I'm curious why it hasn't been done; I haven't seen a real reason in any of the public discussion on the topic.

--- End quote ---

For me, I have no svn client in my PC for several years. Though I use git svn dcommit to push to our svn repo.
I also suggest switch to git from svn.

But there are some issues, I think one big issue is that the svn branch could be lost when we switch to git, because some svn branches get renamed from time to time. :(

I don't know other dev's option.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: Lazauya on April 30, 2021, 12:11:12 am ---Title says it all. I'd like to start contributing to the project, and I think the vast majority of people use Git now, including myself. I think switching to Github/Gitlab would increase visibility for the project and would also help bring in new contributors as those services really do make contributing to open source projects easier

--- End quote ---
There you go - https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf we've technically switched, because you can make pull requests against this repo if you like. You won't get github contribution rewards because "git svn dcommit" would rewrite your commits when/if I do accept your contribution, but is this really important?

WinterMute:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on April 30, 2021, 09:40:43 am ---There you go - https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf we've technically switched, because you can make pull requests against this repo if you like. You won't get github contribution rewards because "git svn dcommit" would rewrite your commits when/if I do accept your contribution, but is this really important?

--- End quote ---

Why not just switch the development there and use normal git workflow instead of going back to svn at all?

There's also the CI infrastructure on there that would allow builds to be released for basically every commit if you wanted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version