Author Topic: File system structure instead of projects folder  (Read 4509 times)

BaronVerde

File system structure instead of projects folder
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:48:40 pm »
Morning,

sorry if this was already answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

Am switching from eclipse cdt where I could easily work with the file system structure, but which has other kirks that I can't live with any more.

How do I work in codeblocks with the file system instead of logical folders and the projects folder ?

Edit: this is Debian Linux and codeblocks 20.03 from the repository.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:53:34 pm by BaronVerde »

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: File system structure instead of projects folder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 09:16:12 am »
The File Manager plugin creates a tab showing the filesystem

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 11:10:10 am »
What do you mena by "file system structure"?
Do you want to do with it?
How do you define a project in this case? Do you want to build? To debug?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

BaronVerde

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 11:30:39 am »
The File Manager plugin creates a tab showing the filesystem

Thanks, i'll try it out.

What do you mena by "file system structure"?
Directories and filenames. Everything is a file. Codeblocks seems to put all files into a single directory and offers logical folders, but these are gone as soon as I leave it. I do a lot in a terminal.

How do you define a project in this case? Do you want to build? To debug?
A project is just an abstraction and only available inside the IDE. All I need is directories and filenames reflected inside the IDE as they are on disk. And yes, I need to build and my skills are not hat huge that I can afford to dismiss debugging :-)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:59:07 am by BaronVerde »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 08:18:15 pm »
Directories and filenames. Everything is a file. Codeblocks seems to put all files into a single directory and offers logical folders, but these are gone as soon as I leave it. I do a lot in a terminal.
C::B doesn't put files anywhere (except for the project templates, but you're forced to use them). You're the one creating and storing files. The file manager plugin is something that allows browsing the file system.

A project is just an abstraction and only available inside the IDE. All I need is directories and filenames reflected inside the IDE as they are on disk. And yes, I need to build and my skills are not hat huge that I can afford to dismiss debugging :-)
A project is something which defines how a given thing would be built inside C::B.
If you don't have a project you cannot use most of the IDE features to build stuff.
Currently debugging also requires a project or it is pretty uncomfortable.

So can you be a bit more specific and less generic, so we can actually help you?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]