Author Topic: C::B very slow/freezing compiling large project  (Read 6286 times)

Offline perazz

• Multiple posting newcomer
C::B very slow/freezing compiling large project
« on: March 30, 2021, 12:42:58 pm »
Hi all,

I'm working on a large codebase (mixed C/C++ and Fortran, ~1000 files) with CodeBlocks 20.03 on Windows 10 x64.

Even if very few to just one file have changed since the last compilation,
every time I hit the "Build" button, C::B is very slow: Win10 "freezes" the window for ~30 seconds,
and then the compilation eventually starts. I'm running a parallel build with up to 48 simultaneous processes.

I suspect this issue may deal with C::B checking with the OS what files have changed since the last build, this taking some time? Is there anything I could do to improve this issue? It has gotten pretty annoying recently, as it also affects whenever very simple changes have been made to the source code.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Federico

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: C::B very slow/freezing compiling large project
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:40 pm »
What happens if you use smaller number of processes?
Are you using the internal build system or something like make/ninja-build?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline perazz

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:58:49 am »
Nope, same performance with either 1 or 48 simultaneous processes.
I also played with Windows Defender to add/remove C::B, its folder and all the project folders as exclusions, but that hasn't helped,

Federico

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:20:36 am »
1. Is it fast with a small project? Proportionately faster?
2. How many targets/subprojects do you have?
3. Can you use something like ETW (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/etw/about-event-tracing) to find out what is going on?
4. Can you try to build the C::B workspace and see if the effect is the same?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline perazz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:14:24 pm »
1. with a small project (<10 files), it is blazingly fast: no wait at all
2. I have 9 build targets, but addressing only 1;
4. yes, same wait/freeze if I build the whole workspace (1 project, 1 target only)

3. I'm willing to try. does that mean building C::B locally and inserting that Windows-specific code?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 08:03:43 pm »
3. Nope, this is a tool. You don't have to insert anything. (I'm linux dev and I don't know how to actually use it, I know that it exists)

Offline perazz

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »
It seems that most of the time C::B is "frozen" is actually spent deleting the dozens/hundreds of "old" object files all at once, before the compilation is even started.

Old objects are not headers, so they shouldn't mess up the compilation of all updated files I guess?

So maybe a solution to speed this up would be to delete each old object file just before compiling it again, instead of doing that as a preliminary pass?  That would distribute the CPU vs FS load better I guess?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 06:42:51 pm »
Deleting many files should be fast. At least when you don't have productivity killers like windows defender, the indexing service and similar MS improvements. :)

BTW: We don't delete .obj/.o files for normal builds, I think. The compiler just overrides them. I think we delete .obj files only for Rebuild/Clean operations.

Offline blauzahn

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:59:24 pm »
2 remarks:

When my compilations on our larger c++project (>2k files) initially take several seconds before all cpus start being used, it is when I use PRECOMPILED headers. This is why I do NOT use them during a normal development day when you only change a few files between 2 compile/link runs. We keep your include dependencies minimal, Thus, our compile/link cycles are faster without precompiled headers. Overall just a few seconds. This is one reason why I love to use CB. Superfast feedback cycles. No fancy stuff, neither ramfs nor distcc or else. Just a Desktop with a CPU having enough cores, an SSD and telling cb to use the number of virtulal cores (SMT, HT) or less for compilation. At least on Linux the OS helps by using free ram. We have separate targets for gcc and clang with pch. These we use rather for batch builds. Even then the pch-header is mentioned only as compiler argument, totally non-invasive. Sure, you must not be lazy with #includes and keep translation-units self-sufficient (see book John Lakos, Large Scale C++, old or new book). Granted, we are in a (at least compiletime wise) fortunate situation not to use partially terrible compiletime hogs like boost. If you want to see a counter example, then try to compile the current trunk of a program called PrusaSlicer (github.com/prusa3d) for 3D printer. It also uses wxWidgets and 1 particlular GUI translation-unit recently always exhausts all 32GB on my machine when i issue make -j 32. Using make -j 16 succeeds though.

Having said that. For 2 or 3 weeks or so, I observe in cb that sometimes (non-pch) builds SEEM TO STALL after several seconds or the log window does not show any output at all. Stopping and restarting compilation does not seem to help, so I restart cb. Somewhat annoying. I do not have digged deeper yet. As usual, way too many things to do.

CB: trunk svn 12312, wx trunk (3.15), arch linux amd64

Offline perazz

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 09:19:33 am »
Sorry for a late update.

I've been struggling with this issue for another year or so, also doing some more tests.
I found that if I reduce the number of targets in my project (from ~10 down to 2 targets only), the freezing time is reduced from ~15 seconds down to ~2 seconds.
(all targets contain most source files, a few hundreds)

Does C::B engage in any cleaning/checking of other targets when a build is started?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 05:21:15 am »
Wild guess, try tuning off "Setting -> Environment"
"General Settings"
"Check for Externally modified files"

I am guessing it will not make a difference; but, I would have guessed having ten targets and only building one would not make a difference, either.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org