Author Topic: Couple of new ideas  (Read 6453 times)

Anonymous

Couple of new ideas
« on: April 19, 2005, 12:16:32 pm »
Hi. I tested CB few days and I think these things could be fixed/changed/added/whatever:

1. Windows resource files (RC) are not highlighted at all. They should be highlighted too (with their own colors and keywords).
2. Since beta 7 it has been possible to change the background color of the selected text. I couldn't, however, change the foreground color. Is this a bug, feature or did I miss something?
3. Cursor "losts" quite easily, it's too small. I think it should be at least two lines thick (now it's only one) and draw it with XOR operation. At least that's how it's done in many other editors and it appears to work very well even with different color schemes.
4. When I close CB and restart it, it opens randomly some file from any of the open projects. CB should remember which file and project was open before exiting.
5. The editor should be activated (focused) right after user selects file from the left-side file selector. Now it requires additional click in the editor area. Small annoyance.
6. The Find should notify user if the text was not found.
7. (This is copied from Dev-c++) The "Find in Files" should open the results in list. When you click item there, the editor activates that file and highlights the line.

Otherwise, CB seems to be quite good. It has really a lot of potential to become the best open-source IDE. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous

Couple of new ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 04:55:25 pm »
It is a quite good and reliable IDE. Let's not forget that it is free.
But some small improvements are necessary:
- activate the editor if a file is selected (the manual editor activation makes not sense)
- keep the "right margin" values (regardless the entered value its value is always 100)
- when displaying the symbols it is enough to show only the function proto-type and further provide a popup menu with "Go to declaration" and "Go to implementation" options. Now both function's declaration and implementation are displayed (the usage of the GoldParser would help in this regard).

Otherwise the application seems pretty stable. The code completion and "code hints" work in most cases.  It remains some work to be done for intellisense and class/symbol browser (again GoldParser  or  ctags should be considered).

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Couple of new ideas
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:05:02 am »
Thanks guys, mind putting these into the "bug reports" and "features request"? They're much easier to manage than posts in the forum.

Rick.