Author Topic: Patch for codeblocks 20.03 adding multi columns in memory dump  (Read 18703 times)

Offline MicroSourceCode

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Patch for codeblocks 20.03 adding multi columns in memory dump
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:19 am »
Work on the patch is completed, I managed to raise performance, which had a positive effect on the speed of debugging. In the future, I plan to make a plugin with viewing the memory region depending on the window size, this will dramatically increase the debugging speed, since the debugger will only need to draw a small piece of memory.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »
I don't think this is a good idea. The debugger should be made to be faster. Which could be done with the gdb/mi protocol or implementing direct support for lldb. Hopefully I'll find time to start work on the latter.

I hope, I'll find some time soon, so I can finish the review.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 11:54:58 pm »
Work on the patch is completed, I managed to raise performance, which had a positive effect on the speed of debugging.
I don't see any new commits in the pull request. Where is this new work?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:07 pm »
The commit can be made if the patch is checked on popular systems, Windows and linux, etc. For this I posted the patches. Testers welcome! If there is a positive result on different systems, then I will create a commit. On my debian buster, the result is positive. I will not install Windows and other systems on my computer to test this.

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 03:42:32 pm »
I noticed that if I use debug mode all the time, the program starts to consume memory. That is, I edit the source, turn on debugging, make changes to the source and start debugging again. I think this is due to the fact that the debugger windows constantly remain in memory and this is clearly somehow connected with the work of wxwidget, it is quite possible that a memory leak occurs in wxwidget. What tools can be used to find the leak?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:44:53 pm by MicroSourceCode »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 04:11:51 pm »
The commit can be made if the patch is checked on popular systems, Windows and linux, etc. For this I posted the patches. Testers welcome! If there is a positive result on different systems, then I will create a commit. On my debian buster, the result is positive. I will not install Windows and other systems on my computer to test this.
What are you talking about?
You've started this https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf/pull/16 pull request.
I've reviewed it, I've showed you some things which should be improved before merging.
Are you going to do the work required to finish this pull request?

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2021, 05:57:53 pm »
I have not received a request.

Last change, adding an error message to the end of the wxListBox. Disadvantage, when changing the display of columns, the strange behavior of the horizontal scroll bar. I am completely satisfied with the result.

Since these changes made by the patch are not necessary for most programmers, except for those who are dealing with microcontrollers, the topic is closed.

All health and good luck.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2021, 06:19:25 pm »
Oh, I see now, github have made it that you have to submit the review, so you've not seen my comments. Now you have to be able to see them.

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 03:32:25 pm »
Now you have to be able to see them.
I have read them and will make your changes to the latest version with wxListBox in a new pull request. Since I have made many additions related to wxListBox, you will need to check them again.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:10 pm »
If you open another pull request, I'll just close it without looking at it. Lets finish this one first.
If you want to introduce more changes introduce them in this pull request.

Keep in mind that I think the API around the examine memory feature is incorrect/bad/unoptimal and it should be adjusted.
I have ideas, but no time, as always, so it is what it is.
But spending time around it is not really worth it that much.

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2021, 06:38:15 pm »
Ok I'll make the necessary changes to this request, the debugger needs rework. Some of the code in the program hasn't changed for over 5 years, but there are a lot of new plugins.

Offline MicroSourceCode

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2021, 06:17:39 pm »
I was unable to make changes to the existing pull request because I foolishly deleted
fork of the program. I am new to github. After some thought, I came to the conclusion that this is even good, since my changes in the patch are closely related to the existing debugger, and since the debugger, as I understand it, will be redone this year, there is no point improve the code that will stop working. I'll wait for the changes in the debugger ...