Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3634 times)

Offline candlesticks

• Single posting newcomer
Help!
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:12:53 am »
I am completely new to coding/Code::Blocks. I am working through a C++ workbook to teach myself.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I am working on the first exercise in the book, but when I run the program I get this message. (I have replaced with "XX" pieces that have my name to maintain my privacy.)

Last login: Fri Feb 19 16:04:45 on ttys000
XX@XX-MacBook-Pro ~ % '/Applications/CodeBlocks.app/Contents/MacOS/cb_console_runner DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:. /Users/XX/Documents/CPP_AIO4/BookI/Chapter03/SayHello/SayHello/bin/Debug/SayHello '
zsh: no such file or directory: /Applications/CodeBlocks.app/Contents/MacOS/cb_console_runner DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:. /Users/XX/Documents/CPP_AIO4/BookI/Chapter03/SayHello/SayHello/bin/Debug/SayHello
XX@XX-MacBook-Pro ~ %

I've tried starting over and using a different file location but I just get the same message.

Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE 2/20/21

So, I've figured out that if I copy the location between the two ' characters and try to run that again in terminal, the code works.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:37:49 pm by candlesticks »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:59:38 pm »
I'm not a Mac user, but the message says to me that you're telling the debugger to start  your program in a shell named zsh.

Evidently there's no zsh shell on your systems.

You can either install zsh, or change the shell to use at main menu/setting/environment.

At the bottom of that dialog is a box to change the shell to use when running the debugger.

Offline candlesticks

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:21:45 pm »
I'm not a Mac user, but the message says to me that you're telling the debugger to start  your program in a shell named zsh.

Evidently there's no zsh shell on your systems.

You can either install zsh, or change the shell to use at main menu/setting/environment.

At the bottom of that dialog is a box to change the shell to use when running the debugger.

It looks like my settings reflect the same shell location: "/bin/sh -c"

I have no idea where the zsh is coming from.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:07:34 pm »
You have zsh. Zsh is telling you that it cannot find something to start it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline candlesticks

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:33:47 pm »
So, what do I need to do? Sorry--I am a complete beginner. I am trying to learn. I'm using a workbook, and this problem is not addressed in the book.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:39:19 pm »
You have to patch C::B to fix the bug or find someone willing to do it for you.
This topic contains some experiments about it: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,24301.msg165801.html
The latest release of C::B is not available on macOS for a reason.  :-X
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline candlesticks

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:53:19 pm »
Ah, I see. I have the version of Code::Blocks that is used in my workbook, I assumed it would be fine on MacOS considering I was able to download it and workbook said Mac was fine. Like I said, I am a complete beginner--this is my first foray into coding--so much of this information is beyond my level of comprehension at this point. Thanks for your help. If Code::Blocks is not an option for me then I will have to look into other resources for learning a coding language. Thank you!