Author Topic: Does anyone have a suggestion for a small plugin I can make?  (Read 14312 times)

Deckhead

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small plugin I can make?
« on: November 09, 2020, 01:13:22 am »
I would like to contribute to Code::Blocks, but having never contributed to a project before, I think tackling the main app might be a problem for me.

So I would like to start with a small plugin first to learn how it works and to do something I could handle. I would prefer it not to be a toy plugin, but something useful.

I use Dr Memory a lot, so I thought something that calls DrMemory and parses the results, and potentially highlights / jumps to code where the allocations leak etc. But I have no idea how much I'm biting off there.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Does anyone have a suggestion for a small plugin I can make?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 07:10:23 pm »
You can inspect the code of the valgrind plugin.
It probably does something similar to what you want to do.
Generally it is better to extend plugins instead of duplicating them.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Does anyone have a suggestion for a small plugin I can make?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:14:50 am »
I would like to contribute to Code::Blocks, but having never contributed to a project before, I think tackling the main app might be a problem for me.
Good to hear!
As oBFusCATed said, I think the valgrind plugin is a small plugin which only communicates the valgrind with pipes. Also, there are some small plugins like CppCheck plugin, Cscope plugin.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.