User forums > Nightly builds

The 13 December 2020 build (12240) is out.

<< < (6/7) > >>

oBFusCATed:
Edit -> Clear changes history?

No, it is not a known problem. Give link or post a ticket on sf.net with exact steps to reproduce the problem.
Also first make sure that geany/scite/codelite/notepad++ behave differently.

eckard_klotz:
Hello oBFusCATed.

Thanks for your reply and please accept my apologize for my late answer.

First of all thanks for your tip where to find the "Clear changes history" item.

--- Quote ---No, it is not a known problem.
--- End quote ---

* I talked about the following discussion: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,23885.msg163013.html

--- Quote ---Also first make sure that geany/scite/codelite/notepad++ behave differently.
--- End quote ---

* I'm unsure what you mean with mentioning the behaviour of other tools.
* As far as I understand it it is a problem located in a third-party library used with Code::Blocks.
* So I understand, that it has to be solved by the third party project.
* Never the less it is a already known problem. Otherwise you would not mention the other tools.
* Or do you expect that I as user of Code::Blocks set up a bug-report in the third-party project with the statement, that the third-party library results in a problem with Code::Blocks?

--- Quote ---Give link or post a ticket on sf.net with exact steps to reproduce the problem.
--- End quote ---

* I think this is the key-question.
* I completely understand, that with out an reproduce able example it will be not possible to search for the reason.
* And yes you are right, the examples in the discussion mentioned above are working with C/Cpp and H files.
* However, over the time and randomly I still face the issue with C/Cpp and H files.
* Thus the problem is definitely not solved.
* What I can tell you is, that it happens if you edit several files in parallel.
* Yesterday I made first some in a header-file in different lines. 
* Than I modified some other files (cpp). 
* And when I than turned back to the header to undo the last modification of one line, the editor removed the change in an additional line also.
* It seams that the Undo memory will be corrupted over the time or the module is compressing the oldest modifications to one.
* Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this effect to provide it as an reproduce able example.
But my main request was how to clear the undo-history and this question was answered by you. So once again thanks for your support.

Stay well and healthy,
                                Eckard Klotz.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 17, 2021, 10:43:29 am ---
--- Quote ---Also first make sure that geany/scite/codelite/notepad++ behave differently.
--- End quote ---

* I'm unsure what you mean with mentioning the behaviour of other tools.
* As far as I understand it it is a problem located in a third-party library used with Code::Blocks.
* So I understand, that it has to be solved by the third party project.
* Never the less it is a already known problem. Otherwise you would not mention the other tools.
* Or do you expect that I as user of Code::Blocks set up a bug-report in the third-party project with the statement, that the third-party library results in a problem with Code::Blocks?
--- End quote ---

You're overthinking. We don't know where the problem happens, yet.
So testing other uses of the library could reveal if it is in the library or in C::B.
I've never said to log any issues in another project's.
We're currently investigating where the problem happens.

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 17, 2021, 10:43:29 am ---
* What I can tell you is, that it happens if you edit several files in parallel.
--- End quote ---
It will be quite surprising if this is related to multiple files. I think the undo data structures in the editor are not shared between files - we have a wxScintilla object for every tab (if split we have two such objects).

Are you sure the lexer is set correctly. You can make .cpp/.h files to behave like plaintext files if you switch the lexer.

eckard_klotz:
Hello oBFusCATed.

Let's skip the first point even I'm confused about. But I think at the end it is not helping anybody.

--- Quote ---It will be quite surprising if this is related to multiple files. I think the undo data structures in the editor are not shared between files - we have a wxScintilla object for every tab (if split we have two such objects).
--- End quote ---
As I wrote at the end it happens "randomly". But I faced several times that it happens when I'm stepping back to a file I have edited some time ago.

What is with my assumption that it is associated with the age of the change I want to redo?
In the documentation of Scintilla you provided via link (in the bug-report discussion) they write "...  It will continue to collect undoable actions until memory runs out. ...". But they don't mention what happens when memory runs out.

Furthermore they write "... These transactions can be nested and only the top-level sequences are undone as units. ..."
Could it be that this nesting will be done with older undoable actions ?

--- Quote ---Are you sure the lexer is set correctly. You can make .cpp/.h files to behave like plaintext files if you switch the lexer.
--- End quote ---
Actually I have not modified or changed the lexer. However, could you please provide some more details about the doubt you have in mind.
May be I have really modified it without noticing it.

Stay well and healthy,
                                Eckard Klotz.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 18, 2021, 05:02:56 pm ---What is with my assumption that it is associated with the age of the change I want to redo?

--- End quote ---
I doubt there is something called age in the Undo data structure, but I don't know how it works in details, so you might be correct or not. I just think that this assumption doesn't seems plausible.

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 18, 2021, 05:02:56 pm ---In the documentation of Scintilla you provided via link (in the bug-report discussion) they write "...  It will continue to collect undoable actions until memory runs out. ...". But they don't mention what happens when memory runs out.

--- End quote ---
C::B crashes, probably.

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 18, 2021, 05:02:56 pm ---Furthermore they write "... These transactions can be nested and only the top-level sequences are undone as units. ..."
Could it be that this nesting will be done with older undoable actions ?

--- End quote ---
This is not user visible. It is meant to group multiple actions in a single undo operation. Say you have an operation "replace all AAA with BBB", to implement it you'll do multiple scintilla actions and  if you don't group them the user would be able to (or have to) undo every single replace operation. The nesting feature allows composing operations without too much hassle and surprises (there are some places where we don't use this api and the results aren't good).

--- Quote from: eckard_klotz on January 18, 2021, 05:02:56 pm ---Actually I have not modified or changed the lexer. However, could you please provide some more details about the doubt you have in mind.
May be I have really modified it without noticing it.

--- End quote ---
I don't ask if you've modified the C/C++ lexer, but if you're using it or not when the bug happens. Edit -> Highlight mode or the combo in the status bar would tell you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version