Author Topic: backup settings?  (Read 9154 times)

Offline MoonKid

• Almost regular
backup settings?
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:02:19 pm »
How can I backup ALL my C::B settings?
Is there a backuproutine?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: backup settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:16:44 pm »
Yes.
Copy all files from your profile folder (usually, just one file: default.conf).

Your profile folder is different depending on your OS. For example, in windows 2000/XP it would be "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\codeblocks" or "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\codeblocks", while in a typical linux system it would be /home/<username>/.codeblocks (notice the dot before "codeblocks").
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline MoonKid

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:41:29 pm »
> Copy all files from your profile folder (usually, just one file: default.conf).
> Your profile folder is different depending on your OS

I can not find any of this files or directories. There is no default.conf anywhere on my system!

Where does C::B store the settings on Win98se?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:53:37 pm »
In that case, you probably use RC2 (it helps to always tell exactly what version you are using). RC2 stores its configuration in the registry (hkey_local_machine/software/codeblocks if I am not mistaken).

You can use Regedit to export the complete CodeBlocks key with all its children to a .reg file. Alternatively, RC2 allows import and export of configurations (somewhere in the Settings menu).
Please do note, however, that you will not be able to import your settings into more recent versions, as they use a completely different system than RC2 does.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MoonKid

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:15:25 pm »
The export is buggy. The import "is not implemented". thx

I submited a feauter  #1819.

It could not be that there are so many different ways handling the settings of C::B.
There must be one os-independet way.

Then there can be easy import/export function.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:46:03 pm »
Sorry, maybe we were not clear enough. There is only one way configuration is stored at this time, and that is an xml-based file (the one mandrav pointed out).

However, you are using the RC2 version which still uses an old configuration system. This system is indeed OS-dependent and it indeed uses the registry under Windows. That is why we moved away from it by early November last year. You can use regedit to store backups of your configuration (and reuse it with RC2), but you will not be able to transfer it to the recent release.

Also there will be absolutely no development in this direction. The RC2 configuration system is dead. I therefore closed that feature request.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MoonKid

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:20 am »
Great! :)

Is there a import/export in the nigthly, too?

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49:14 am »
just copy the *.conf file(s) to another place

you can use multiple personalities (profiles) each has their own *.conf file,
default is default.conf when not using any personality