Author Topic: Auto completion is a grey square ?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline kimh

• Single posting newcomer
Auto completion is a grey square ?
« on: November 05, 2020, 08:40:06 am »
When I start typing, instead of popping up completions to choose from Code::Blocks pops up a grey square ???

Any help appreciate.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Auto completion is a grey square ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 11:28:16 am »
You don't report OS or C::B version, but my crystal ball says you are using MacOS, so look here: https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/1021/

There are at least four posts about this issue, Search is your friend.

Offline kimh

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
Thanks for the link - turning off code completion worked to stop the grey box but of course I would like to have code completion.

I tried searching for both "grey box" and "grey box for code completion" and it showed no results?

BTW: I'm using Code::Blocks 17.12 and macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (sorry about that).

So are we saying its a bug in the latest Code::Blocks version? I don't see any option to update Code::Blocks in the menus?

Appreciate the response.

kim

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »
For example http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,24183.0.html

It is a known bug, but few people lurking here uses MacOS/knows enough about programming/want help to test or fix this bug and others.

The questions about the gray box in MacOS started about a month ago, and all OP use Catalina. I don't know details, but possibly Catalina changed something in wxPoupWindow, or the wxWidgets library used in Catalina has some issue with popups.

Recently, changes in wxWidgets' popup code in MSW broke C::B code completion in two unrelated points, one was solved skipping wx3.1.2 entirely and the other needed a patch for C::B.

Offline kimh

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »
Appreciate your prompt and helpful response Miguel.