Author Topic: Code::Blocks Tutorial Documentation Issue  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Warren_W_W

• Single posting newcomer
Code::Blocks Tutorial Documentation Issue
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:09:00 pm »
Using "http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Creating_a_new_project" the screens matched until: "On the final page, you will be presented with several options. The first box will determine the new filename and location (as noted, the full path is required). You may optionally use the ... button to bring up a file browser window to save the file's location.". What file name?? If I used the "...button" I go to main.cpp. I chose the Main.cpp and wants to "replace". Not in  the instructions and the rest of the documentation does not match.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Code::Blocks Tutorial Documentation Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:43:49 pm »
What do you want to do?
Create a new file?
Create a new project?
What file do you want to create?

Offline Warren_W_W

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:46:14 pm »
Using "http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Creating_a_new_project" the screens matched until: "On the final page, you will be presented with several options. The first box will determine the new filename and location (as noted, the full path is required). You may optionally use the ... button to bring up a file browser window to save the file's location.". The "first box" did not determine the " new file name" or "location and I am stuck. All went south after " Adding a blank file In this example, we will be splitting the function main.cpp. I am new at this and am stuck.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:10:43 am »
So whats the Problem?
You want to add a new file:
Press the "..." button, browse to the location of your project or where you want to generate the file, add the name of the NEW file (you have to determine it by yourself), press save, then finish and go on with the tutorial...

It is exactly as described...

The "first box" did not determine the " new file name" or "location and I am stuck.
What does this mean?
Can you not enter the path?
Can you not press the "..." button?
Do you get any error message?
What is the exact problem?
Please be as descriptive as you can... I am not an native english speaker, and sometimes i need a bit more description to understand the problem :)

Do you mean, that the text in the image is not printed in the first box? Well of course it is not printed there by it self. You have to enter the name of the new file... From where should codeblocks know how the new file should be called and where it should be stored?

Offline Warren_W_W

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 01:25:56 am »
Using "http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Creating_a_new_project".  You should re-write the tutorial. The tutorial is not "It is exactly as described..." because you had to tell me to type in  the path and file name. That is not in the tutorial. The files "Hello.cpp" hasn't been created yet and is shown in the tutorial. I just installed Code::Blocks and had not created any files yet. I am really very, very new at Code::Blocks and coding.

Offline Warren_W_W

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:56:25 am »
I went back thru the tutorial and followed it per your instructions. The Build had no errors and the same with Run. The shell "HelloWorld" popped up as I expected. The tutorial showed no screen shot to compare it to. The tutorial shows: -------------- Build: Debug in HelloWorld --------------- Compiling: main.cpp Compiling: hello.cpp Linking console executable: bin\Debug\HelloWorld.exe Output size is 923.25 KB Process terminated with status 0 (0 minutes, 0 seconds) 0 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 0 seconds). Mine showed: ctrl+F9 -------------- Build: Debug in HelloWorld (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)--------------- mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g  -c "C:\Users\Waldrup\Documents\Code created\Text\CB Projects\HelloWorld\main.cpp" -o obj\Debug\main.o mingw32-g++.exe  -o bin\Debug\HelloWorld.exe obj\Debug\Hello.o obj\Debug\main.o Output file is bin\Debug\HelloWorld.exe with size 951.47 KB
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minute(s), 5 second(s)) 0 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 5 second(s)). There were differences but no errors. I re-wrote the doc in part as I went as a complete new guy so that a new guy at any age could understand. I can seed if u want. 

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:11:42 am »
We can nit provide a screenshot or log output for every step... It is different on every machine you are running the code. The only thing that is the same on all is the line "Hello World"
You will encounter MANY incomplete tutorials and programming directions on your way to learn programming. Use the internet, use google to search for the error messages and the solutions. This will help you to understand the issues and learn A LOT.  The programming world is to fast and to complex most of the time to make a 1 to 1 explanation that works and looks the same for longer than 1 year....
But you can improve the wiki if you want. The login should be the same is in this forum here. If not please report.
Thank you!

Also, for the next time you ask in the forum for help and post some code or error messages or logging messages, please use the "#" symbol in the forum editor to encapsulate your log or code. If you post simply the text it is quite difficult to read your posts and differentiate between code/log/error message and your text...

Offline Warren_W_W

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:26 pm »
Thx for the info, I didn't know of the "#", . You have been very helpful! Learning is fundamental.