Author Topic: Can you run code using Code::Blocks on Chromebook?  (Read 6724 times)

minthe

Can you run code using Code::Blocks on Chromebook?
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:33:11 am »
I was wondering if anybody was able to run code through Code::Blocks on Chromebook (more specifically a Samsung Chromebook)
I installed Code::Blocks directly through the Linux Terminal and was able to run the IDE fine.
The problem stems from trying to create a Console Application, I would make a folder for a 'Hello, world' code to be stored into (the folder is named C++ Project 1 since I am a beginner), expand the Sources folder, but when I double-click on "main.cpp" I would get a

"Could not open the file 'C++ Project 1/HelloWorld/main.cpp' The file does not exist." error message.
I am unable to get to the point where I can access or type a "Hello, world" program due to this.

I've attempted to download and use other IDEs such as Visual Studio Code, but I was unable to execute any programs.
I can use a web-based compiler, but I want to be able to save my projects as well as be able to debug them.

I'm afraid that if this is not due to user error, that I may need to purchase another laptop that can properly run Code::Blocks, and if so, do you have any recommendations for someone on a budget?

Thank you :)

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Can you run code using Code::Blocks on Chromebook?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:24:13 am »
Try using a path without spaces, local characters or the plus sign

minthe

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
I tried making a path without spaces or the plus sign, sadly, I still get the same error message.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:47:04 pm »
Does the file main.cpp exist in that path?

minthe

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 02:07:02 am »
I figured out what I did wrong, I did not properly set the path to my folder when setting the project up, it's the 3 dotted icon you click onto when making (or deciding) which folder to put the code into. Thank you so much for helping me realize my mistake :).