Author Topic: [CB 20.03 Bug Report] Not adding parentheses after function name auto completion  (Read 6347 times)

Offline hbcpp

• Multiple posting newcomer
Dear all,
I've been using CB for 2 years now and I started it out in version 16.01 and I am still using this version because I don't like how version 17.12 looks and feels. But version 20.03 came out and went to check it out and I loved it.

However, the first thing I noticed when using it was that it is not adding parentheses after function name in auto completion and it is kind of a deal breaker. I am going to the settings toggling that option but nothing is changing. Even though it might not seem like a big deal but not having this feature is very annoying. I am not sure if this is a bug or it is one the changes in this new version.

Also selecting a few lines of code and want to put inside brackets or parentheses by just clicking the bracket or parentheses key is not working anymore. I think this is not a bug but I love that feature and was wondering if there is another way to accomplish this.

CB Release: Release 20.03  rev 11983 (2020-03-12 18:24:30)   gcc 8.1.0 Windows/unicode - 64 bit

Some help please!!

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Hi,

However, the first thing I noticed when using it was that it is not adding parentheses after function name in auto completion and it is kind of a deal breaker.
You mean, typing something, the auto complete popup opens, hitting enter to complete the function, but nor parenthesis are added? If not can you describe in more detailed way?

Also selecting a few lines of code and want to put inside brackets or parentheses by just clicking the bracket or parentheses key is not working anymore
So marking some text, pressing '{' key surrounded this block with '{}' ? I newer knew we had this :/. I see the parenthesis are entered, but the text is not replaced...

Can you open a ticket for this... As soon as i find time i will look into it....

Offline hbcpp

You mean, typing something, the , hitting enter to comple the function, but nor parenthesis are added? If not can you describe in more detailed way?
yes, I type a function name, the auto complete popup opens, I hit enter and it auto completes the function name but no parenthesis are added. Exactly like that.

Code
void functionName()
{
}

int main()
{

func // typing until here the auto complete popup opens and I hit enter
    functionName // this is what I get instead of
    functionName()

}

So marking some text, pressing '{' key surrounded this block with '{}' ?
Yes, it is very useful when I want to enclose a block of code inside the brackets that is supposed to go under a for or while loop or a function. Or simply scope some code.
However I made some tests and apparently this feature can be used in the CB 20.03, I openned the CB 20.03 having its default.conf file the same as the one I use in CB 16.01 and it worked but as soon as I deleted it and made CB 20.03 create its own default.conf file, the feature stopped working, and instead of embracing the selected blocked code when clicking one of these keys (, ), {, }, [, ], <, >, it just replaces it.

Can you open a ticket for this...
How would I do that, sorry this is my first time posting in CB forum.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
We use Sourceforge for bug tracking:
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/

here in the forum this post will get lost in the noise...

Offline hbcpp