Author Topic: Specific Crash with C::B and wxMenuBar Editor  (Read 5940 times)

Offline kirash4

• Multiple posting newcomer
Specific Crash with C::B and wxMenuBar Editor
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:52 am »
Steps to repeat:
Launch C::B (13.12)
Create new wxWidgets project
Using wxWidgets 3.0.0
Using wxSmith, Frame Based

When project opens, double click on MenuBar editor
Select the 'About' child menu item
Click on the ^ button to move it up - C::B crashes

I realize in reality one can not move a child menu item that's already at the top past its parent, however that's no reason for C::B to crash. Either a) inform the user that moving the child past its parent is dumb, or b) actually move the child item to the previous parent menu item.

In my case, I was trying to do the latter. I created a menu item which showed up as a child under the wrong parent and in an attempt to move it up to the previous parent item, C::B instead said 'No dice, I shall crash instead.' The work arounds are to either a) delete the item, select the correct parent, then create it again, or b) move the item to the left (so it becomes a parent), move it up under the parent it's supposed to be under, then move it back to the right so it once again becomes a child.

What's odd is that if you select the 'Quit' item and click the down button, it WILL successfully convert itself to a parent first and a subsequent down click will move it down and you would have to click right again to make it a child. It's the moving UP that's crashing C::B.

alex123456

Re: Specific Crash with C::B and wxMenuBar Editor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:37:48 pm »
I am getting the same results with these Versions:
Code::Blocks 17.12, wxWidgets-3.1.3
So it seems as this very old bug has not been fixed yet, but fortunately it doesnt matter too much as you can avoid it (better have everything saved on disk when using wxsmith!).

Still I was confused as a new user with wxsmith, so good to know the specifics of this bug.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Specific Crash with C::B and wxMenuBar Editor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:24:32 pm »
I have just created ticket 948 https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/948/ with a patch