Author Topic: Has anyone considered replacing autotools with CMAKE for building code::Blocks?  (Read 14311 times)

Offline billus

• Multiple posting newcomer
Seems to me that for bouncing back and forth between macOS, Windows and Linux, life is easier on a CMAKE-based build than autotools, which doesn't run natively on Windows and is painful at best on macOS.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Yes, I've considered it, but I can't find the time or desire to port the whole build system to cmake. I prefer to work on actual bugs making C::B better for users and accept that the development would be a bit harder.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline billus

Hopefully you won't mind if I give it a shot. My thinking is that, if you make the development process easier, more people will tackle a bug or two rather than spend hours figuring out how to build (as I have with Alpine, much less macOS).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
I doubt it. CMake is not really user friendly. In fact on linuxes autotools is a lot user friendlier than cmake.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline fruitCode

That's a personal opinion. Besides cmake improved a lot to my opinion. I agree with billus however I see your point too about the work.

@billus: do you have anything working yet? Maybe I can assist?

Offline sodev

• Regular
I think his hot air has cooled down ;D

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!

Hopefully you won't mind if I give it a shot.

Sorry I missed that post. I do have some initial work which was meant for this purpose, but its way outdated. But I agree that it would help with e.g. the Mac builds. That was my intention as well.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
I'll revive my gdbmi plugin soon and I will experiment with both meson and cmake.
CMake is a standard these days, but it is a terrible system. And it is massively slow to do the configure when the project becomes really big...