Author Topic: CodeBlocks Crashing  (Read 6855 times)

Offline MrBadAttitude

• Single posting newcomer
CodeBlocks Crashing
« on: September 10, 2021, 05:25:41 pm »
CodeBlocks keeps crashing whenever I press on "Create a new project" everything works fine except the ones under File and New. I never installed codeblocks before on my pc and gcc is also working(checked it out with a command "gcc --version").
CodeBlocks version - 20.03
Windows 10 version - 21H1

Thank You.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: CodeBlocks Crashing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 05:38:13 pm »
What are you doing after pressing "Create new project"?

Offline MrBadAttitude

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
What are you doing after pressing "Create new project"?

I can't do anything it crashes like after 3 seconds pressing it.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 06:23:36 pm »
Is there a CODEBLOCKS.RPT file near the C::B executable? If yes, please attach it (possibly after changing the extension to an allowed one).

Offline MrBadAttitude

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 06:50:15 pm »
Is there a CODEBLOCKS.RPT file near the C::B executable? If yes, please attach it (possibly after changing the extension to an allowed one).

Could you tell me the location of the file it may be located in? I did download the software in C:\Program Files

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 07:01:14 pm »
It should be in the same folder of codeblocks.exe, search for codeblocks.rpt in C:\Program files

Offline MrBadAttitude

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:32:10 pm »
It should be in the same folder of codeblocks.exe, search for codeblocks.rpt in C:\Program files

Here you go :)

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 11:22:44 am »
I can't reproduce the issue; SortTemplates() did crash some time ago (see this thread, but it was related to a change after 20.03 was released.

Can you try a recent nightly?. Just download the three zip files and extract them in a folder of your choice. It can coexist with 20.03.

Offline MrBadAttitude

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:11 am »
I can't reproduce the issue; SortTemplates() did crash some time ago (see this thread, but it was related to a change after 20.03 was released.

Can you try a recent nightly?. Just download the three zip files and extract them in a folder of your choice. It can coexist with 20.03.

I was able to use it with the nightly version the only problem was that the GNU GCC Compiler was not detected(I am sure I can fix this problem). Rather than using an unstable version of a software I just gonna use the 17.12 version which is more than enough because the C and C++ programming tutorials that I am watching are using much more older versions of CB. But could you please let me know where I can report bugs so that I can report it and let it be fixed later on?

Thank you.

Offline Miguel Gimenez

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 09:36:04 am »
IMHO the august nightly is a lot more stable and feature rich than 17.12 or 20.03, and you can use the 17.12 tutorials without changes.

Bugs are posted here

EDIT: before posting a bug in 17.12 or 20.03 please check if it is fixed in the nightly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:56:15 am by Miguel Gimenez »

Offline AndrewCot

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
I am 100% in agreement with Miguel's august nightly.

I am very familiar with C::B windows compiler detection. IMHO make sure the MinGW-w64 compiler is in C:\mingw64 instead of "C:\Program File (x86)...."

The zip for the compiler is:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/20.03/Windows/codeblocks-20.03mingw-nosetup.zip

If you get stuck you can always change the compiler as follows:
1) Open the compiler settings dialog via the settings->compiler menu option
2) In the drop down list select "GNU GCC Compiler"
3) In the tab control select "Toolchain executables"
4) Change the compiler installation directory to the directory where you have the mingw-w64 compiler installed.