Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

CodeBlocks User Manual

<< < (2/5) > >>

MortenMacFly:

--- Quote from: gd_on on December 30, 2019, 07:20:52 pm ---As I cannot update the doc files with svn, here is a 7zip file containing the updated documentation in English and French. As told previously, I cannot do the job for german, sorry.

--- End quote ---
OK - I've committed them to SVN. Than you. I've also removed the German translation as there will be nobody to harmonise 3 languages. I would also strongly suggest to drop the French translation as well, as the effort to keep the remaining two (en/fr) in sync is certainly high and I believe all coders nowadays should do well in English.

I've also added WinEdt project files for the two manuals and created the PDF's from scratch. That is looking good.

--- Quote from: gd_on on December 30, 2019, 07:20:52 pm ---It's possible to use them directly in the htmlweb subfolder (for pdf, or chm files) also by clicking on main_codeblocks_fr.html or main_codeblocks_en.html for the html version, but if someone who has the correct rights (an admin I suppose) is able to update on C::B web site, it will be nice.

--- End quote ---
I'll think about that. For me, providing a link to a PDF and CHM file on the homepage and packaging these into the installers is just fine. Why have an online documentation? Again: Its more to effort with little benefit.

I would propose we update the docs with the new release (inlcuding the SDK docs and stuff...).

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: MortenMacFly on January 02, 2020, 11:08:17 am ---Why have an online documentation?

--- End quote ---
Because people are used to online docs these days. I guess.

MortenMacFly:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 02, 2020, 11:23:14 am ---Because people are used to online docs these days. I guess.

--- End quote ---
If they are pretty. But what you get out of an automata not targeting modern HTML in the first place is not better than integrated help (like CHM/PDF) inside C::B.

But OK - we can generate HTML if we want. Its a single HTML file and tons of images, so it should be easy to integrate into the homepage. But in that case I would rather generate both versions (en/fr) separately and not having a tool that fixes PNG file names on the second run. I think we don't need that step... (gd_on?)

gd_on:

--- Code: ---it should be easy to integrate into the homepage
--- End code ---
It's already there, in http://www.codeblocks.org/user-manual (tab User Manual on the left side of C::B main page). Sources are in  www.codeblocks.org/docs/. It's why I have provided an all-in-one folder htmlweb : normally a simple copy-replace should do the work (without destroying the previous old work). ::)
Of course, all images are the same for all the html files versions, because it's a lot of work to obtain them localised in 3 languages, and probably with very few benefits.

In the original work, by Mario Cupelli, 3 languages were proposed, German because it's the native language of Mario, English and French (my translation of his work).
Of course, English must be the main source (I should say, the reference). I think that having the manual in other languages is a plus, specially for those who don't speak english enough. Of course, translating the doc is a long work, and certainly difficult to maintain, but it's a ++, I think  :D At least, for French, I can do the work (I already maintain the translation of the code in launchpad codeblocks-gd : template .pot and french translation .po)

In the original work by Mario, I think he had no tools to restore the original png files (was not useful with his tools may be). But, his job was done on Linux with tools I don't have on Windows. I have Miktex 2.9 and HelpNdoc 6, but that's all. May be, it's possible to find equivalent tools on Windows, as the one used by Mario, but I have not found them. So my own tool, to restore the original png file, is probably not necessary, but It's the best solution I have until now (and only used to transform .tex in .html files with htlatex).

gd_on

PS : I published an update of the file after my first release, with the code source of my tool at least. I have not still looked on svn, but did you use the last version (same link as previous) ?
PS2: May be on Windows, WinEdt is a nice solution, but it's a shareware. Is there an alternative free solution ?

MortenMacFly:

--- Quote from: gd_on on January 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm ---It's already there, in http://www.codeblocks.org/user-manual (tab User Manual on the left side of C::B main page). Sources are in  www.codeblocks.org/docs/.

--- End quote ---
I am aware its there already, just I did not update it yet. The single-source files are no problem, but the homepage with the multiple files is a hassle. That's what I was trying to say... :-)

--- Quote from: gd_on on January 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm ---In the original work, by Mario Cupelli, 3 languages were proposed,

--- End quote ---
I just wanted to propose different. I think 3 languages is too much.

--- Quote from: gd_on on January 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm ---At least, for French, I can do the work

--- End quote ---
If that is the case also for the long-run I am happy with en/fr.

--- Quote from: gd_on on January 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm ---PS : I published an update of the file after my first release, with the code source of my tool at least. I have not still looked on svn, but did you use the last version (same link as previous) ?

--- End quote ---
Yes, I had the most recent one but I did not commit the files I believe we don't need yet. I was able to produce all versions (PDF, CHM, HTML) just fine without the tool.

--- Quote from: gd_on on January 02, 2020, 12:32:03 pm ---PS2: May be on Windows, WinEdt is a nice solution, but it's a shareware. Is there an alternative free solution ?

--- End quote ---
For me its fine to produce the files with WinEdt at release time and that is probably enough anyways ( I usually also produce the SDK docs). Alternative tools are present, like TeXMaker, TeXStudio, TeXnicCenter or... Whether or not they also support HTML/CHM I don't know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version