Author Topic: How do you change font colors in the Management panel?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Citizen Joe

• Single posting newcomer
  • The Last Boy Scout
How do you change font colors in the Management panel?
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:29:30 pm »
Hi There,

This is my first question.  I did a search in the forum on what I was looking for (found one post), but it refers to a different set up than mine.

As the subject line suggests I'm trying to change some of the colors, specifically the font colors in the Management panel.  through a bit of trial and error I've managed to change the default (attachment CBSS01), to this (attachment CBSS02) which is more to my liking.  However, in the Management panel, Symbols tab, in the Symbols tree you'll see items labeled "Global functions", "Macro definitions", etc colored in black... It is the font colors of those items I'd like to change to a lighter color for easier readability.

For easier troubleshooting my setup is as follows:
Linux Mint version 19.1 Cinnamon edition (using Mint-Y-Dark theme)
Code::Blocks 16.01

Help on what particular settings to change, or files to edit would be appreciated.  If you require any further system information please let me know.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

Very Truly Yours,
Citizen Joe
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:54:53 pm by Citizen Joe »
---
"We have enough people here who know about UNIX and enough people who play Quake that we can make sysadmins out of parts." - Ficus, about Be's lack of a fulltime sysadmin.

Offline Citizen Joe

• The Last Boy Scout
Re: How do you change font colors in the Management panel?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:43:30 am »

Okay, did some more experimenting.  Made a test "Hello World" sorce code file and loaded it into Code::Blocks.  The "Symbols" label at the base of the tree will always be in a lighter colored font reguardless of weather it's the active label or not.  The sub-labels on the tree ("Global functions", "Macro definitions", etc) I found behave differently.  The sub-label, when active, will have its font in a lighter color.  When the sub-label is inactive and contains no items, then the sub-label font will remain in a darker color.  When the sub-label is inactive and contains at least one item, then the sub-label font will remain in a lighter color.  Still it would be nice to know if I can still change the darker color of the font to a lighter one.

So that little mystery is solved (sortof), but in exploring that I ran into a new issue.  The changes I made to the Enviroment  settings (as seen in attachment CBSS02) disappear upon closing Code::Blocks.  When you reopen the program it reverts to the default (as seen in attachment CBSS01).  It appears that the changes I'm making to the settings are not being save by Code::Blocks.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue?  Also since it's a new issue should I repost it seperately, or just leave it here?

Thanks again for any help given on either of these issues.

Very Truly Yours,
Citizen Joe
---
"We have enough people here who know about UNIX and enough people who play Quake that we can make sysadmins out of parts." - Ficus, about Be's lack of a fulltime sysadmin.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
Since, it is likely an already fixed issue; I would not report the issue unless you see it in the newest CB release. Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Citizen Joe

• The Last Boy Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »

Since, it is likely an already fixed issue; I would not report the issue unless you see it in the newest CB release. Tim S.

I said (sortof) solved.  While I understand the mechanics of what's going on, the underlying technical question "Can the font color be changed?" has yet to be addressed.  I'm looking for an answer of either:

a) Yes you can and  this is how you do it.
b) No you can not and this is why.

Also, the second issue I discovered about settings not being saved, and questions related to it, have yet to be addressed as well.

Thirdly, Code::Blocks version 16.01 is the latest version installed through the linux mint software manager.  So any newer versions of Code::Blocks has not yet reached the linux mint software repository.

Again any assistance on these issues will be appreciated.

Very Truly Yours,
Citizen Joe
---

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:32:08 pm »
Then complain about that at the Linux Mint Folks, latest release is 17.12, but i don't recommend using that in your case because afaik this also uses wxWidgets 2.8. Newer wxWidgets versions work much better in dark mode, your Linux probably ships a wxWidgets 3.0 version, you should build CodeBlocks from source against it, maybe even build wxWidgets 3.1 from source too.

Also that settings don't get saved sounds familiar. You are trying to fix a dead patient, thats kind of wasted time. Better upgrade to the latest source, if you still have issues, then you can try to fix them.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:46 pm »
Still it would be nice to know if I can still change the darker color of the font to a lighter one.
I doubt there is a settings for this.
Search Settings -> Environment -> Colours for something that looks like it will affect this colour.
But generally Symbol Browser is disabled, because it causes random crashes with wx3.x builds.

The changes I made to the Enviroment  settings (as seen in attachment CBSS02) disappear upon closing Code::Blocks.  When you reopen the program it reverts to the default (as seen in attachment CBSS01).
The ~/.config/codeblocks/default.conf file has wrong permissions. It happens sometimes on ubuntus, don't know why and how to reproduce it. :(
Change the owner of the file and it will work again.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:21 pm »
Then complain about that at the Linux Mint Folks, latest release is 17.12, but i don't recommend using that in your case because afaik this also uses wxWidgets 2.8. Newer wxWidgets versions work much better in dark mode, your Linux probably ships a wxWidgets 3.0 version, you should build CodeBlocks from source against it, maybe even build wxWidgets 3.1 from source too.

Also that settings don't get saved sounds familiar. You are trying to fix a dead patient, thats kind of wasted time. Better upgrade to the latest source, if you still have issues, then you can try to fix them.
I'm not sure how you've managed to gather so much misinformation in a single post, but you did it... :(
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »
And what exactly is wrong in that post?

Landslyde

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 02:32:20 am »
Hi Citizen Joe:

I'm on Cinnamon 19.1, too. I use two themes: Cinnamon-Kashmir-Blue and 3D-Blue-Shades. While they're not black, they're easy on the eyes and they show white text. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:20:52 am by Landslyde »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:35 am »
And what exactly is wrong in that post?
1. Blaming wx for cb issues.
2. Stating that 17.12 uses wx2.8, which is clearly not the case on most modern linuxes (it is up to the distro to choose the wx version). I think this version of mint is using wx3.0.
3. Stating that 17.12 will solve OP's problems
4. Not mentioning that 17.12 disables the Symbol browser for wx3.x builds.

Offline Citizen Joe

• The Last Boy Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 06:42:15 am »
Finally back...

Still it would be nice to know if I can still change the darker color of the font to a lighter one.
I doubt there is a settings for this.
Search Settings -> Environment -> Colours for something that looks like it will affect this colour.
But generally Symbol Browser is disabled, because it causes random crashes with wx3.x builds.

I went through all the color settings I could find and not any of them change the sub-label that is inactive and contains no items in the "Symbols" tree in the "Management" panel.  Perhaps a color setting they need to add in future releases of Code::Blocks.

I do not know what this "Symbol Browser" is or how it related to the font color of the item I'm referring to.  I'm just getting started with linux and still learning so every little bit helps.

The changes I made to the Enviroment  settings (as seen in attachment CBSS02) disappear upon closing Code::Blocks.  When you reopen the program it reverts to the default (as seen in attachment CBSS01).
The ~/.config/codeblocks/default.conf file has wrong permissions. It happens sometimes on ubuntus, don't know why and how to reproduce it. :(
Change the owner of the file and it will work again.

Bingo!  All it took was "sudo chown user:group default.conf" and that did the trick.  Thanks a million for that tip.

I'm on Cinnamon 19.1, too. I use two themes: Cinnamon-Kashmir-Blue and 3D-Blue-Shades. While they're not black, they're easy on the eyes and they show white text. Just an idea.

Mint-Y-Dark theme is more of a grey/dark grey theme with light text and actually prefer it, at least for now.  The issue is with Code::Blocks and is something it looks like the devs will have to work on eventually.  Thanks for the idea though.
---