Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

Code::Blocks Rust integration

(1/2) > >>

Barracuda72:
Hello!
I've started learning Rust programming language some time ago and just discovered that there is no good IDE for that (Vim is my favorite editor, but it's still not an IDE).
I've done many C++ projects in C::B, so I decided to throw a bunch of stuff together and make C::B usable with Rust.
Here's the results:

https://github.com/Barracuda72/Codeblocks-Rust

It's still lacking many things. Syntax highlighting isn't pretty as I'm just lacking aestetics, and there are quite a bit hardcoded things here and there in scripts, but overall it's usable. You can create new projects/files, build/rebuild/clean them, compiler messages are parsed and recognized by IDE.

I'd be happy to hear some suggestions on this (PRs will be even better), and hope that Rust support will be integrated in C::B one day.

oBFusCATed:
Can you explain how you're handling all the cargo stuff? Are you using custom makefile project or using the C::B's build system? I'm mildly interested in rust, but I cannot find the time to try it in something more complex...

Barracuda72:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 04, 2019, 12:18:57 pm ---Can you explain how you're handling all the cargo stuff?

--- End quote ---

I'm not actually handling ALL the cargo stuff, just the project creation and building/cleaning.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on May 04, 2019, 12:18:57 pm ---Are you using custom makefile project or using the C::B's build system?

--- End quote ---

Yep, I'm setting up custom makefile project with custom build commands ("cargo build" etc). Cargo is Rust default build system, and while it's possible to use compiler directly and integrate it into C::B build system it's actually not worth it, I think. I don't like Cargo myself (just what the hell with all this "package manager - build system - project configuration - etcetcetc" all-in-one goddamn ugly designed thing in modern programming languages?!), but it's official way to go, unfortunately. You could always just write good ol' Makefile and use it (I usually do that).

BlueHazzard:

--- Quote ---just what the hell with all this "package manager - build system - project configuration - etcetcetc" all-in-one goddamn ugly designed thing in modern programming languages?!
--- End quote ---
+1

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: Barracuda72 on May 05, 2019, 12:07:28 pm --- (just what the hell with all this "package manager - build system - project configuration - etcetcetc" all-in-one goddamn ugly designed thing in modern programming languages?!)

--- End quote ---
Removes opinion, variation and make sharing code to be an easier task, so I think it is a good design decision to have one. No idea if the implementation is good.

If you look at C/C++ you'll see the other way to do it and we already know it is bad and causes tons of problems. For example good luck using a lib that is using some different build system from yours. It is total PITA. Especially if you have to build it regularly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version