Author Topic: Showing relative path for files in build messages  (Read 2643 times)

Offline liteyear

• Single posting newcomer
Showing relative path for files in build messages
« on: April 28, 2019, 01:12:23 am »
Long time programmer, first time user. Really impressed by the maturity and simplicity of the experience so far. Kudos.

I have so few complaints, that my first is a visual one:

In the "Build messages" tab, the File and Line columns take up far too much horizontal space, leaving not much for the meaty Message column. Are any of the following improvements possible?
  • Reduce the file path to just the path relative to the project root.
  • Align the text in the column to the right so only the last (most important) part of the path is visible if the column is too thin.
  • Combine the "Line" column with the "File" column, eg: file.c:123.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Showing relative path for files in build messages
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 01:39:20 am »
Do you know about the build log tab?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline liteyear

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »
Do you know about the build log tab?

Yes. It's as I've come to expect and want from dozens of IDEs - the raw log from which a table of parsed messages is generated. Perhaps I'm missing something though - does it help?

In the meantime I've stumbled upon a bit of a workaround - if all the columns are "big enough", giving just enough to the File and Line columns and more than enough to the Message column, such that the total width of the columns is more than can fit in the window, a horizontal scroll bar appears. The scroll bar can be positioned to only show the "most important" part of the path is visible. Importantly, this scroll position appears to stick between builds and selections. This is not the method I was expecting, but ends up really close to what I was after.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:15:08 pm »
It could be implemented, but it is not...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]