Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

RFC: collect system information so users can attach it when looking for help

<< < (3/4) > >>

AndrewCot:
WHY, WHY, WHY was the patch in the ticket not looked at?????

It would have improved the ticket info quality 10,000%....

Sorry for my whining, but like other people there is a % of tickets that do not even include the CB version and OS etc and then expect the bug to be fixed with no config details.....

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: AndrewCot on June 25, 2021, 01:55:19 pm ---WHY, WHY, WHY was the patch in the ticket not looked at?????

--- End quote ---
Because this is the real world and as it seems even the patch author has forgotten about it :)
The ticket info quality wouldn't be improved much by this patch, because most people posting these never comeback after any additional info is requested.
Also looking at the patch I think it is questionable. The macro stuff is pretty context dependant to be useful.

AndrewCot:
I have been working on the data displayed in the Help->About->Information tab to expand the data even more to include useful info I have stumbled across when trying to get CB "things" working or correctly or to fix bugs.

I have not moved the info into a separate Help sub menu as indicated in ticket 748 and enhance the new dialog to to make it easier for end users to include the info in bug reports.  The current code changes are in my following Github branch:
    https://github.com/acotty/codeblocks_sf/tree/AC-Help-AdditionalInfo

In my changes I removed the HTML feature as I could not see any real benefit of this over the existing plain text. Once I did this then the new class became redundant and as such it no longer exists. The current changes are only in two files as per the following commit:
   https://github.com/acotty/codeblocks_sf/commit/19ef5d467606098cd64f2146613aa732f1779a85

A sample of the output is attached.

If you can think of anything else to add to the output please let me know long as it is feasible.

BlueHazzard:
Looks quite nice!

Maybe we should add some warning that personal (but not critical) information can be found in the file?

AndrewCot:
Which bits of info in the files would you classify as personal with the exception of the following:
a) Windows username? In my case "andrew".
b) Computer name. In my case "AC-DESKTOP"

I have the help menu changes done and the button to copy the data to the clipboard. In the copy to clipboard I could programmatically dot eh following:
a) Get the username and change all references to "<UserName>". 
b) Get the computer name and change it "<ComputerName>". 

It's probably a better idea to anonymize the data collected than have the user agree to something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version