Author Topic: need a step by step instruction to set up stm32 project  (Read 13173 times)

Offline wanggaoteng

• Multiple posting newcomer
need a step by step instruction to set up stm32 project
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:29:39 am »
Hi, codeblocks is a very excellent IDE, I use it to learn C program language. Thanks to the development team, codeblocks is a very great project.
Now I want to use codeblocks for the STM32 development, is there some official material about how to start step by step?

P.S.
operating system:win7,64
compiler:gcc-arm-none-eabi
standard library:stm32f4_dsp_stdperiph_lib
controller:stm32f407
debugger:stlink
I want to use the open software tools to develop stm32 project, if I lack some information provided above, please recommend me the open software tools.

Offline aashishgogna92

Re: need a step by step instruction to set up stm32 project
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:43 am »
Go through this link
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,22758.0.html

adding,
CodeBlocks in current time is incapable of producing heXcode for ARM projects. i have invested my whole month to make a GUI application for my stm32f429 using codeblocks and there were some visible errors on initial steps will come up which are impossible to solve.

Common Errors:(unsolved)
1.The compiler toolchain will not be automatically detected.
2.You will wonder whether the toolchain is installed or not, if you manually install the toolchain ,code blocks will show that the toolchain is present while making project,at the time of completing the ARM project to load, it will show , no compiler present.
3.if you manage somehow to leave all the issue and make any simple project by c application selection,
the debugger wont work.
The wide detailing required for debugger(st-link or j link)  on other platforms like Eclipse, its just absent in codeblocks, so basically you cannot control the speed,clock,board name or any important information required for debugging.

Suggestion:
Dont waste time, CodeBlocks is best only for C applications.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:04:15 pm »
CodeBlocks in current time is incapable of producing heXcode for ARM projects.
This is plain wrong. Codeblocks does not do anything. The compiler does it, and you can codeblocks tell to tell the compiler to generate hex code ;)

e were some visible errors on initial steps will come up which are impossible to solve.
Also this is wrong. It is possible to solve it. If you are not able to do, ask... But you have to be clear what you want, and also you have to know some basics about compiling, coding and your architecture...

, so basically you cannot control the speed,clock,board name or any important information required for debugging.
If you are using j-link you will get a companion program (j-link commander) form what you can set up things. No need to set this tings in codeblocks. But you even can set them from within codeblocks (monitor commands in the debugger) if you know what you do. I did not used this on stm but on Atmel ARM and it worked like a charm...

1.The compiler toolchain will not be automatically detected.
This is quite hard to do. Every user installs it to a other place, and there is no standard key to look up in the registry. I tried to implement it but it is difficult...

@wanggaoteng
Don't use the wizard. It is totally broke and useless. In the post mentioned by aashishgogna92 you will find a link to my github example project. Use this as a starting point. If you are able to build this project we can start do add your own things.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:07:05 pm by BlueHazzard »

Offline wanggaoteng

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:18:26 am »
@aashishgogna92
@BlueHazzard
Thanks a lot.