Author Topic: The 06 february 2006 build is out.  (Read 23611 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 06 february 2006 build is out.
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:54:01 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml
A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.7z
For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb.7z

The 06 February 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_06feb2006_rev1953_win32.7z
  - Linux : not supported yet

Resolved Fixed:

• A log window is displayed now for batch builds
  • Added a few new events: EVT_COMPILER_STARTED, EVT_COMPILER_FINISHED, EVT_DEBUGGER_STARTED, EVT_DEBUGGER_PAUSED, EVT_DEBUGGER_FINISHED. Not all are sent yet, only EVT_COMPILER_FINISHED
  • Fixed console_runner's message when waiting for a keypress
  • image update
  • Preparation for placement
  • Patch fixing broken Linux build (Der Meister)
  • Fixed two more Linux build problems with gcc 3.3

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• DDE bug : clicking in windows explorer on a CB registered file throws an error message box
  • toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem)

Offline bitcero

• Single posting newcomer
Re: The 06 february 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 11:29:55 pm »
Excelent, a greeeat job  from colombia many thanks
Muchas gracias amigos!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:36:28 pm »
I still wonder if we should add a "testimonials" link somewhere where ppl can post, or just keep the current one updated :)

killerbot: congratulations for your post number 666 :twisted:

I was wondering: do you (anyone) find the text in italics in Code::Blocks' logo in this revision a bit blurry or unfocused? Maybe I just need new glasses :P

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:51:09 am »
Yes Ceniza it seems a tad blurry for me.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:03:11 am »
That is a supersampling effect. I still have not found the perfect combination.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:10:13 am »
Ok it is not a problem. BTW I really like your recent improvements to the splash screen. :D

OT: @thomas Do you use PhototShop?? If not what do you use for making the graphics???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:38:20 am by sethjackson »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:40:27 am »
The four coloured blocks were remodelled in Blender 2.40 after Chris Punkt's original Code::Blocks logo. The original logo was overtesselated on the flat sides and had a strange highlight artefact in the upper left corner (bad normals?). It was rendered to a 10000x8000 RGBA bitmap and combined with a fully opaque white background using additive blending to remove the disturbing translucency effect from the blocks. After removing the overlapping white backdrop, the image was rescaled to three different target sizes (between 150x120 and 1500x1200).

The splash screens as well as all icons in the configuration dialogs are drawn in Inkscape. The icons are exported to PNG slightly smaller than the 80x80 target size, receive a drop shadow (black, offset 3 px, gaussian blur 3px, opacity 25%-30% depending on the image).
The resulting picture is then desaturated, modulated, and blurred using ImageMagick (this happens as a batch operation via a shell script).

The splash screens are exported from Inkscape at a size of ~2000x700, then resampled to their target resolution (hence the "blurring"), given a soft shadow (40x6+5+6) and repaged using ImageMagick. The larger splash screens use biquadratic sampling, the small image used for the "start here" page uses a Hamming filter and is blended against a white background to work around the Windows 2000 transparency bug.
Oversampling the images is not the perfect solution as far as the text is concerned (since the text is already antialiased and properly hinted to the resolution in which it is rendered), but it reduces the artefacts on the cube's far left corner and on the coloured lines, so a compromise must be sought. The Hamming filter used for the small bitmap is less blurry than the biquadratic filter, but it introduces more aliasing, too.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:56:15 am »
How difficult would be to resample the images but add the text later so no text resampling occurs?

Offline Revvy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 03:08:38 am »
I still prefer the most recent one that Takeshi posted in the poll thread =\  This one, the lines are kind of weird (and the yellow doesn't really fit), while the small text is too small to read easily and the light blue just doesn't fit with the vibrant colours of the blocks.
Cheers,
Revvy

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 03:36:33 am »
This is an approximate view of adding a font after resampling the image with the most similar font I found and the closest size match (that's just splash_new.png with the old text removed and the new one added).

I think it's easier to read, even though the // looks ugly with that font.

killerbot: sorry for adding these posts here.

P.S.: I'm getting a higher compression ratio for PNG with GIMP (276 KiB vs 82.4 KiB) for splash_new.png with no changes. What about using it to save PNGs for Code::Blocks?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 09:20:48 am »
How difficult would be to resample the images but add the text later so no text resampling occurs?
Yes, I've been thinking about that, but haven't figured a 100% good way yet. Generally a good idea, but very difficult, as you can see in your sample. The text size and alignment is not correct any more. That's probably because you made that text in Gimp, and it uses slightly different font sizes (or hinting, or a different antialiasing setting, or whatever). It is not impossible to get it right, but it is hard.
The only solution that might work and be relatively painless at the same time would be to produce two layers from the same source at different resolutions and composite them later. But that brings us to the problem of positioning the upper layer pixel-correctly (possibly sub-pixel). Also, no matter what you do, you have to do everything at least twice, since the font in the title image has yet another size. I try to reduce those manual steps using Gimp and the like to a minimum, because ImageMagick runs from a script and so the suite of 3 images can be reproduced with one double-click if you make a change to the layout. It takes a long time to set up and figure out initially, but I think it is worth the effort on the long run. If someone wants the background to be aquamarine tomorrow, it takes 10 seconds to do that. With many manual steps in between, it takes 15-30 minutes to try out even a tiny change.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 10:40:38 am »
P.S.: I'm getting a higher compression ratio for PNG with GIMP (276 KiB vs 82.4 KiB) for splash_new.png with no changes. What about using it to save PNGs for Code::Blocks?
16 bits per channel ;)
Using 8 bpp, I get similar results.

Offline mmkider

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 01:24:46 pm »
Astyle plugin error?
I used this plugin,and I got a whole space without original code.
What's happed?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
mmkider: I just tried that plugin and it seems to be working fine. Could you try again?

Could anyone else verify this?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 03:17:03 pm »
Could anyone else verify this?
I invoke AStyle about 40-50 times per day, don't notice anything unusual.

Offline mmkider

• Almost regular
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 04:16:36 pm »
I used the 04 February 2006 build, and  it's fine.
But I updated my codeblocks to the 06 February 2006 build, I got follow 

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 04:21:32 pm »
Out of curiosity... your Windows version looks Chinese (?) umm... not Western.

Are there also any Chinese characters inside that source file, and if there are some, could you try if it works when you delete these first? In that case, we would have a clue where to look...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 04:28:49 pm »
# Added menu item "Edit->File encoding" to select the active file's encoding. Partial patch by 280Z28
# Added simple BOM signature encoding auto-detection on file open
could this be the reason, this is a change on the 5th.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 04:38:02 pm »
I don't think so, although I believe that the cause of the problem may be related.

Quetz

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 07:08:09 pm »
[BUG]

There is problem while debugging.
Try: put two breakpoint in one procedure. Before that order to show "watch window". After "start debugging" is clicked, the debugging session stops at first breakpoint- it's ok- and in the watch window i can see all the stuff.

But, when clicking start/contiue once again it stops at the next breakpoint, but the debug toolbat and debug menu are freezed!!! The only thing i can do is to stop debugging (it's the only enabled button).

Please tell me what to do! 

Best regards,
Quetz