Author Topic: CodeBlocks starts really slow  (Read 4932 times)

TDL3

CodeBlocks starts really slow
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:47:36 am »
CodeBlocks initially runs perfectly on my system until recently it starting to become really slow, after some investigation I found out that CodeBlocks will run as a background process and do nothing
at first, after about 20 - 30 secends it will starts to run just like normal.
This problem has happened for quite some time and it got my attention recently while I need to use it frequently.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: CodeBlocks starts really slow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:19:29 am »
operating system?
Codeblocks version?
Source of installation file?
Edit:
what do you mean by "slow"? Long start-up time? Slow UI? Slow compiling? Slow dialog loading? Please describe as detailed as possible...
What have you done to your system since it is so slow? Updated Anti-Virus? Updated windows? Updated the compiler? Have you tried to deactivate Anti Virus?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:37:27 am by BlueHazzard »

Offline stdstringclass

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 07:22:25 pm »
BlueHazzard, I have the same issue.

It runs very slowly. There is no communicates, and everything works fine, but after clicking the icon I have to wait 1 min and 48 sec on i7 and super fast SSD 7mb/s :)))

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 07:26:07 pm »

It runs very slowly. There is no communicates, and everything works fine, but after clicking the icon I have to wait 1 min and 48 sec on i7 and super fast SSD 7mb/s :)))

What OS are you using?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 10:04:06 pm »
And you absolutely do not add any information i requested from the original poster....  How should we suppose to help if we have 0 information?

It runs very slowly.
What runs slow? Codeblocks? Your program? Compiling?
There is no communicates, and everything works fine,
What works fine? What does "no communicate" mean in this context? Codeblocks? your program? The compiler?
but after clicking the icon I have to wait 1 min and 48 sec on i7 and super fast SSD 7mb/s :)))
What icon? You have to whait for what? Codeblocks starting? The compiler finishing?

Offline stdstringclass

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:21:50 pm »
No, no - Compiler itself works fine - when it finally starts up :)

We are talking about fire it up. When You want the application to start. On my computer I have to wait a bit less than 2min.

You just click in icon in Windows named Codeblock and wait...wait...wait...after 2min Codeblocks appears and then You can work normally.

How fast can You start it on Your computer?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 11:54:26 pm »
20 sec, but i have some failed plugins that take some time...

Ok, now that we finally know what is going on, lets work on the problem.
First step to try is to open codeblocks go to menu Plugins->Manage plugins->Select all plugins from the list (you can select the first, then press shift key and select the last, to select all)->Disable
Restart codeblocks and look if it is still slow.

If it is not slow, you can make a bisection search for the plugin that slows codeblocks down.
For this enable the first half of the plugins and start codeblocks again. If it is still fast, disable the plugins again.
Then repeat the algorithm with the second half. Disable the half plugins of the half that slows down codeblocks. This goes on until one plugin is left. At the end you should have a plugin that is the culprit from the slow down.

If codeblocks starts also slow without plugins we have to make things a bit more complicated...

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 07:12:58 am »
No, no - Compiler itself works fine - when it finally starts up :)

We are talking about fire it up. When You want the application to start. On my computer I have to wait a bit less than 2min.

You just click in icon in Windows named Codeblock and wait...wait...wait...after 2min Codeblocks appears and then You can work normally.

How fast can You start it on Your computer?

He still has not told us what OS he's running, has he?
I had the same problem on both Win 10 and Win 11. But the fix was different for each.

Please, what OS are you running?